Please sign in to post.

Castles Near Fussen, Germany

Is it worthwhile to visit both of King Ludwig's castles? (or just Neuschwabstein?) Anything else in the area not to miss? Innsbruck?
Thanks.

Posted by
31 posts

Yes, visit both. It really helps you understand King Ludwig better to visit his boyhood home.

Posted by
19159 posts

If I were going to do anything else besides Neuschwanstein, it would be Hohenschwangau. It is more of an authentic castle, the place where Ludwig grew up. You can see it in the same day with Neuschwanstein. If it is a choice between Hohenschwangau and Linderhof, I would definitely choose Hohenschwangau.

Wieskirche was the biggest disappointment on my recent trip on the Romantic Road. It's just another excessively gawdy church. They are too abundant in Bavaria. If you have to see something like it, visit the chapel at Andechs. At least they serve good food and beer.

Posted by
2931 posts

Hi Barbara,

I agree that both Neuschwamnstein and Hoenschwangau are very worthwhile. I found the Hohenschwangau tour more interesting. 1 mile away from both castles is the Tegelbergbahn (cable car) and luge (alpine slide) ride called the sommerrodelbahn.

We loved the Wieskirche. Absolutely stunning inside.

Andechs monestary is simply a great place. Gorgeous church and beer gardens

Ludwigs Linderhof castle is amazing also.

We also like the town of Fuessen just a few minutes away.

www.stadt-fuessen.de

www.andechs.de

www.wieskirche.de

www.schlosslinderhof.de/englisch/palace/history.htm

paul

Posted by
281 posts

Barbara:

Forget about Innsbruck. It is amazing what snow can do to cover up an industrial center. I couldn't wait to see Innsbruck, the visions from my youth of Franz Klammer and Bernard Russi in the downhill, and the agony of defeat on the ski jump, and Jim McKay describing the area, I couldn't wait to see it. What a disappointment, the '76 Winter Olympics it is not. Stay in the area around Fussen another day, take a hike, enjoy the walled pedestrian center, but don't bother with Innsbruck.

Kevin

Posted by
12172 posts

Since you are there, it's definitely a good idea to see both castles. Hohenschwangau was lived in so is more authentic, Neuschwansteing was the mad King's fantasy castle and has some fantastic features.

In the area, Ehrenburg ruins is a good stop but only if you like hiking steep trails. We do and really enjoyed a true ruin nearly to ourselves. Also in the area are the downhill sled rides (rollerbahn?). These were a perfect family activity but everyone would enjoy except maybe senior citizens.

Innsbruck is really only good as a ski base. Just up the road Hall in Tirol is a good stop. It has a fairly compact medieval center and some museums. We found it a good stop for several hours of exploring and lunch.

Munich and Salzburg are both great visits. I wouldn't want to skip either.

Berchtesgaden is a good day trip. We skipped the Hitler stuff and went for the salt mines tour. This was another of the perfect family activities that anyone would enjoy

Posted by
151 posts

You can also take a gondola ride up to Tegelberg, which is east of the castle. At the top you see the jagged edges of Austrian alps and overlook Baveria. People take off from the top of the mountain and parasail. You can wander on the paths and hike a bit and there is also a restaurant up top. Have fun!