Please sign in to post.

CAR RENTAL

My husband and I are thinking of renting a car in Paris and driving leisurely to Madrid possibly stopping in San Sebastian. Any suggestions? Hotels? Itinerary? Thanks in advance!

Posted by
4555 posts

Before drawing up an itinerary, check the car rental cost. You might find the drop-off charges for renting in one country and dropping off in another, may be prohibitively high.

Posted by
3313 posts

As Norm points out, the drop-off costs in another country can be considerable. The drop-off costs can also be highly variable depending on the time of year. The drop-off charges pay for the cost of sending someone to bring the car back home. Call Autoeurope for their rates and estimates of of drop charges. I've always ended paying them for the freedom of having a rental car.

Posted by
121 posts

I rented a car in Paris the last time we were there and encountered no problems. We drove from Paris to Nice. Luckily, the car was equipped with GPS and programmed to stay on the backroads rather than the highways where you pay a toll. How fortunate we were to be able to see the countryside along the way. As others mentioned, you may have to pay a large drop-off fee for driving across the border. Plus, it's my understanding that the rental car companies will not provide you with a GPS unit if you plan on dropping the car off in another country.