Please sign in to post.

Car Rental

I am renting a car in Spain for 3 weeks, for the first time. I know that my credit card company will cover me for collision insurance. What about 3rd party liabililty. Is it usually part of the rental agreement or do you have to purchase it as an extra? Thanks Bob

Posted by
1530 posts

Be sure and obtain an international DL at a AAA ($20) as this is required by Spanish law (on the spot cash fine for not having one).

Posted by
798 posts

Make real sure of what your credit card insurance does cover. Remember that selling insurance is a profit center for the rental car companies and in the unlikely case of having an accident they are not going to do anything to make your life easy if you don't take theirs. Look at some of the write ups on the Graffiti Wall and make up your own mind. Steven is right about the IDP, the 250 Euro fine for not having one can be a mere pittance compared to having an accident without one and finding out you have NO INSURANCE because you are not a properly licensed driver. Don't let any of this stuff scare you off, just follow the rules.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks to you all for your reply. I will definitely have the Inter. License. I have found out from numerous sources that in Spain and France, at least with my rental company, the 3rd party li8ablility is included in the rental cost. Thanks again for taking the time to assist. Bob

Posted by
10229 posts

The International Drivers Permit (not license) is available at AAA. You will need to provide a passport sized photo or they can take one there for a small charge. I always get the picture there to save an extra stop. Oops, I just noticed that you're Canadian. I'm not sure where someone in Canada goes for the IDP.

Posted by
2788 posts

I rented a car in Honolulu,HI, where I live most of the year from Hertz in
March of this year. While I was driving the rental car, a pickup truck tried to pass a line of cars by driving down the shoulder of the road. He was forced to cut into our line of cars by a light post and in doing so, he ran into the right hand front of my rental car. He sped off (yes, hit and run) but I was able to get his license plate number and phoned the police who responded and took a report. I then returned the rental car to the rental agency lot where the agent behind the desk filled out a report and told me it was a good thing that I had gotten a police report number and that Hertz had its own insurance to cover hit and run accidents and that I would not be held responsible for any damage. They provided me with another rental car and I as on my way, still shook up but OK. Today, 8/27 (5+ months later) I get a letter from Hertz informing me that since I did not buy their CDW insurance, that they were billing me just over $1,000 for damage and loss of use. I will call them tomorrow and report back. In the mean time, be careful of declining the CDW even if you have other insurance as I do not want to have to send in a claim to my car insurance for this amount.

Posted by
14 posts

I posted the credit card that i used last year when i travelled to Europe last fall. I am using the same card when i go to France this fall. The card that i am using is a card that is is fairly new. It is called the Bank of America travel card. There are no foreign transaction fees. Regarding insurance they sent me a letter that i am to present to Hertz. They cover all physical damage to the car. They cover undercarriage, windshield, side mirrors, tires(if they are a result of hitting a pebble etc- not if the tire is worn). They do not cover personal items taken from the car. They have the one of the best coverages of the credit card companies. You have to decline the CDW. However if you rent from Hertz you have to pay for damages and collect from the credit card. www.benefitinformationcenter.com www.cardsml.com bankofamerica.co
Bank of America 1-800-432-1000 visa-com/benefits 1-800-348-8472. You can call them and they can give you general info. However when you get your card they will tell you more specifics. You have to follow the guidelines..no off road driving.

Posted by
12172 posts

American Express has a CDW product. One charge (I think $25 dollars, but varies a little based on where you live) covers the entire rental up to about a month. It's not available everywhere, due to local rules/regulations. If it's available to you, it's a good enough deal to look into. I've never scratched a rental car, but that's not something to count on - better to manage the risk than ignore it.

Posted by
1530 posts

Be sure and take photos of the vehicle before you leave the lot and upon your return of the car! Also, run through all car features to make sure they work prior to leaving the lot. I always take a drive through around the block to insure the car is fully function able.