Please sign in to post.

car insurance in France

We are headed to France next month. Rick Steves' book says you have to decline all coverage offered by the car rental company if you are going with your credit card coverage. AmEx coverage (and also that offered by Travel Guard) doesn't include liability coverage needed if we struck another car. The AmEx rep told me I should purchase liability coverage from the rental company, and that it wouldn't negate its coverage. Can anyone reassure me that this is correct? Thanks.

Posted by
144 posts

Hi Margaret,

Don't use Amex. A lot of places don't accept it anyway. Both Visa and Mastercard provide insurance. Plus most auto insurance companies provide liability insurance protection for you while driving any car anywhere in the world. It's a standard part of their contract. I was a claims adjuster for 20 years.

I've rented cars all over Europe and always decline the insurance. No worries.
Katherine

Posted by
3 posts

I may be renting a car as well and would like to hear the answer since AMEX told me the same thing...

Posted by
3313 posts

This isn't a question that can be accurately answered here. Call your own insurance agent and credit card company and make sure you understand your coverage. Finally, ask your rental company what are the mandatory coverages in France already covered in their rate.

Posted by
283 posts

I agree thatyou should call you credit card provider--not AM EX, as it is hard to use in Europe.

Not all credit cards provide this coverage--you may nned to have a higher card type, such as a platinum card to get the coverage. However, I know for a fact that you must decline the CDW provided by the rental company. We had a small ding in our car a couple of years ago. I had opted for the CDW but would be responsible for the deductable. I called the card company and was told I was not covered, as I accepted the CDW. If I had not, the whole expense would have been covered.

Call them and ask all the questions before you go.

Posted by
125 posts

Margaret, I've done a lot of research on this myself and here's what I found... Generally basic liability coverage is included in the rate. It's your collision and theft coverage that is not. Note that the liability coverage provided is generally very basic, so you have the option of purchasing additional liability insurance (ALI). Many Visa and Mastercard cards come with comprehensive and theft protection for rental cars - in the US it's considered secondary insurance but internationally it is primary insurance - but in both cases it's only valid if you decline CDW and TP through the rental agency. Call your credit card company, let them know you're going on an international trip, and ask them if your particular card has a rental car insurance benefit - in some cases it's only gold or platinum cards, but not in all. They should be able to send you a policy statement that describes the benefit. My Visa is through my credit union and I called them and they had a standard document that explains the insurance coverage benefit in depth which they put in the mail to me. I now carry this when making such trips just in case the rental agency wants proof of coverage.