Please sign in to post.

Canary Islands

Repeating this question because it may not have published my first attempt. My slightly older husband (and I) are travelling to Canaries first of Dec for R&R. We have been looking without success for a small (50-100 rooms )intimate hotel, with pool and pool bar, restaurant all in casual atmosphere AND on the beach. If we were really charmed; a small village for cruising by foot. Any suggestions?

Posted by
4044 posts

The Canaries are not a big draw from North America, as you might guess from the lack of response. They are overrun, however, by the British, Germans and other Northern Europeans. Maybe that holds some change-of-scene appeal. Most of the islands are quite steep and hotels cluster along the narrow ocean shore so beaches are rarely too far away. Some quaint villages, however, have been plowed under for resort hotels so the best you can hope for is quaint old sections of towns.
It's been some time since I was there and I was backpacking so I can't make specific recommendations. You may have to fall back on Internet guidebooks to see what islands and areas might suit you best, then struggle through the extensive lists on hotel booking sites. WWW.booking.com, I notice, claims 1,300 listings. That site and others now post fairly good descriptions and photos, but the consumer-beware rule always applies to hotel sales pitches. Good luck; it can be a pleasant getaway and certainly more scenic than Florida.