Please sign in to post.

Burg Eltz

Now I would like to add the Burg Eltz castle into my trip. My itinerary (although it can be changed) includes Munich, Salzberg, Vienna, Prague, Venice, and Rome. What is my best option to include this castle into my itinerary?

Posted by
12172 posts

I agree with Jennifer. Burg Eltz is the wrong direction for you. Your trip is oriented East, going West will cost you a lot of time.

My visit to Burg Eltz started in Bonn, I trained to Koblenz, transfered to Trier and walked the Roman ruins first thing in the morning. I backtracked to Mozelkern and hiked to the Burg for the tour, then trained through Koblenz to Bacharach on the Rhine for dinner and a pension. The Mozel valley is really pretty but it was a busy day.

On that trip I only went East as far as Salzburg but I did a pretty good circle of North, West and South Germany.

Posted by
390 posts

Unfortunately, Burg Eltz is west of Frankfurt, about 300 miles from Munich. I suppose you could fly into Frankfurt or Koln if you haven't bought your flight yet, but I don't think the train journey from Munich would be worth it as it is so far out of your way.

Your itinerary already seems impossibly busy for the time you have in Europe, personally I would not try to add on anymore. However, if you're determined to see it, it will take quite a bit of time. The easiest would be to take the train to Koblenz (5 hrs from Mun.), then catch a local train to Moselkern. From the station, it's about an hour hike to the castle.

Posted by
71 posts

Kristen, I'm responding to your earlier question, as well as this one. We did a similiar trip last mid-May to mid-June, except we took a whole month and did it at a less crowded time. I strongly encourage you to rethink a Burg Eltz excursion. We saw more than a dozen castles and Burg Eltz was one of my favorites, but you simply don't have the time, in my opinion. There are a bunch of castles close to Munich, which I think would satisfy most people's castle appetite. Vienna and Saltzburg are very different and I wouldn't miss either. I would also consider substituting Budipest for Prague to tighten your distances. My overall advice to you is that you're trying to do too much in too little time. Personally, I think your itinerary is more appropriate for 2 two week trips, not 1. But however you do it, I hope you enjoy!

Posted by
769 posts

Id say its a highlight too - the whole day - to and from through the woods and the castle itself. Stay a night nearby (Cochem or Bacarach). BUT - it is realitively close by train to Frankfurt - which is NOT close to Munich. If you are anyplace near Frankfurt - its a easy train ride from that area. but even with high-speed it may be too far for a good day trip from Munich and back (unless you left early and stayed the night up north). but it was well worth it - as was Marksburg nearby on the RHine - 1/2 to Bacarach area.