Please sign in to post.

BURG ELTZ

COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON TRIP UP TO BURG ELTZ...
IF YOU WALKED WAS THE TRAIL WELL MARKED AND EASY TO FOLLOW..HOW LONG DID IT TAKE
THANKS, DJ

Posted by
368 posts

Hi Don:

Went to Burg Eltz on a RS tour. The bus left us in the parking lot and we had to get to the castle. There was a shuttle van that for 5 Euros would drive you to the castle entrance.

The paved road in was very steep, but not very long. Took about 10 minutes. I would walk in but not out on the road.

We walked back through the woods and the trail was well marked (if you went off you went down the hillside)fairly level, dirt and in some places muddy. There were lots of trees so there was cover. It took about 45 minutes for us to walk back. We were not walking too fast. It was not a hard walk.

The walk in and out were well worth it. I enjoyed this castle the best of all I saw on the tour.

Posted by
12172 posts

I walked from the train station to Burg Eltz. It was difficult to get started. I needed directions through the small town to where the road stopped and trail began.

As always, I asked locals. Several school age kids volunteered and walked me the ten or so blocks. At one point an adult in a front yard asked the kids why they were walking with me (a stranger) after he was satisfied we continued to the trail.

Once on the trail it was easy to follow and only a moderate hike. The weather was perfect, I'm not sure how it would be in the rain.

Posted by
157 posts

Many people have commented on the walk from the parking area.

It's a little over a mile down to the castle & obviously, the same distance back ( uphill all the way ).

As long as you are in decent shape, it was not a big deal.

Posted by
2931 posts

Hi,
We were there this past October ('07). Easy downhill walk to the castle. Great views of the castle from above on the way down. It's not a trail, but a paved one lane road. We walked down but took the van back up to the parking lot. The van ride cost us 1.50 Euro each.

Paul