Please sign in to post.

Budget Hotels in Paris

Hi All, Does anyone have any recommendations for budget hotels in Paris? Hotels that are within close proximity to the major attractions of the city? All suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

Posted by
9110 posts

Budget and proximity are fairly mutually exclusive. However, in and out of the center each day takes thirty minutes and a couple of bucks each way. My favorite for saving money has become the ETAP on Rue Babinsky. The hotel is spartan, but clean. It's in a multi-cultural area with skads of places to eat at a bargain. There's a large grocery store with a bakery around the corner. A ten minute walk and a twenty minute ride with no changes will get you in front of Notre Dame. It runs about eighty bucks per night for a double. If you really want to get closer in, look at the Cluny-Sorbonne. It's right on the northwest corner of the university and runs around $120 per night for a double.

Posted by
1014 posts

How long are you staying is the major question. If over 5 days, an apt. becomes cheaper. A lot cheaper. If only 2-4 days, then the ETAP that Ed mentioned is a good find. I have stayed there probably 5 times. It works. Beside it is a hotelformule1.com. they are about 15 dollars cheaper, but the toilet and shower are down the hall. Wife prefers to not walk down the hall to take a bath, so we do the ETAP. If you want a cheap apt., let me know. I am at work now and the info is on my personal computer at home.

Posted by
26 posts

Thank you! What is the best way to find an apartment? Any suggestions?

Posted by
3250 posts

We've stayed twice at Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the Marais. The rooms are small but it's a good value for the location. Not so far from the Metro, Ile St. Louis, and Notre Dame.

Posted by
2091 posts

We've really appreciated the people, the convenience and thoroughly enjoyed our apartment through vacationinparis.com.

Posted by
1976 posts

You might have decided on an apartment by now, but I can suggest the ETAP hotel in the 14th arrondissement (don't remember the street). We were about a five-minute walk from the Porte d'Orleans Metro stop. The room had its own bathroom and bunkbeds - a single bed on top and a full on the bottom.

Posted by
8942 posts

We liked staying in the Ibis hotels there, a few years ago. Very clean, very reasonable, friendly staff, breakfast buffet and A/C, which was a treat as it was unbearably hot the summer we were there. The Ibis we were in was near Gare du Nord, so only a short trip on the Metro each morning. We enjoyed the multi-cultural feel of this area and had some good meals in the restaurants around here, plus good sandwiches from the neighborhood bakery. At that time, they were 79 per night, so I am sure it has increased a bit, but the Ibis in Frankfurt is only 89 per night, so perhaps not by much.

Posted by
165 posts

Depends on your idea of budget. My sister-in-law thinks down grading to a four star hotel is budgeting.

Posted by
11507 posts

I have stayed at the Hotel St Pierre in Paris. VERY central, but off on a little side street so not noisey. Budget is a matter of opinion,, room was clean but tiny.

Posted by
524 posts

Just a note about apartments in Europe. I suggest that for 1st timers in any city to stay at a hotel. You can ask the receptionist the myriad of questions you will have. Good cheap restaurant, special restaurant, directions, where the pharmacy is, etc. Provides a comfort level while you are learning to navigate and see the city on your own.

Posted by
3551 posts

Budget hotel is relative. yes Etap's are a great value but the walk then a 20 min metro ride in w/ expense /time rd trip doesn't make sense IMO.
Look into Hotel Kensington in Rue Cler 2 blocks walk from Eiffel Tower. Small clean room & ensuite, works for me every time.

Posted by
2023 posts

I agree with Bobbie-first timer to Paris would be better off in a hotel. We have booked through vacationinparis several times for weekly stays in apts. They were great to deal with but you need to book four months ahead. Twice we booked three months out and there were not many apts to choose from at our price level.

Posted by
1068 posts

I don't know what "budget" range translates to, for you, but I always recommend the Hotel Hameau de Passy. (Here's my Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/le-hameau-de-passy-paris#hrid:g98JFqlLu5c6Pwb-qhJwbA/src:self). My husband and I stay here each time we go to Paris, and we are far from wealthy. It's not dirt cheap, but it is a five-minute walk from the Eiffel Tower and Trocadero, and has very reasonable rates. It's also super quiet, and very clean.