Please sign in to post.

Brussels, Bruges, Amsterdam

Hi, I would like some feedback on my itinerary for early June to Brussels, Bruges, and Amsterdam. We will be starting in Brussels around 5pm and flying out of Amsterdam 7 days later at 2pm. Right now my plan is to have 2 nights in Brussels, 2 nights in Bruges, and 3 nights in Amsterdam. I've been to Amsterdam before, but my husband has not, so we will be doing the three major museums there. We would like to do a short bike trip from Bruges, maybe to Damme. What do you think of the distribution of days? Should we do only one night in Brussels and add another day to Amsterdam? Would you prioritize a day trip from Amsterdam or a having a day and a half (as opposed to 2/3 of a day) in Brussels? Thanks!

Posted by
9100 posts

I would just do one night in Brussels and add that day in Amsterdam. There are lots of excellent day trip from Amsterdam, my favorite is the Delft/Hague combo described in Rick's guidebook. When in Amsterdam find time to check out the new Hermitage Museum (www.hermitage.nl), it's currently the city's largest art museum. The museum and it's exhibits are stunning. Also, be sure to check out the annual World Press Photo show at the Oude Kerk (old church). It's the top show for photojournalism, and the best pictures from the past 12 months are on exhibit.....it's always the "hot" ticket in town.

Posted by
358 posts

I agree with Michael and would spend only one day in Brussels and add a day in Amsterdam. Be sure and eat at one of the many rice table restaurants in Amsterdam. I like going to Amsterdam in april/may to see the Keukenhof gardens.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks for the recommendations! I wish I could be there for the tullips, but June is when I can take vacation time from work. So starting to tourist in Brussels at 5pm on Sunday and getting on the train for Bruges on Monday around 5 or 6pm would be enough time? In terms of our travel style, we like to do a lot of walking, seeing natural beauty, and getting to know the local culture. We've loved our trips to Croatia/Slovenia, Paris, and Prague.

Posted by
1525 posts

I think it is adequate to spend your time in Brussles in and around the "Grand Place" and to give the more far-flung sights a pass. One day there is adequate. Two nights in Bruges is perfect. We saw almost all of the old town sights, took a boat tour of the canals and rented bikes and rode to Damme all in the same long day. Tack on another couple of hours in the early morning or late night to stroll the old town without so many tourists, and that is a perfect exposure to Bruges. I would agree that adding an extra night in Amsterdam and considering a daytrip out would be the best use of your time.

Posted by
973 posts

If you do only one night in Brussels, will you still be recovering from jetlag when you move on to Brugges? If you are afflicted with jetlag, that would be the best reason for staying there 2 nights.
I second the nomination for your visit to the Hermitage. The exhibits are not just another art musum; the items are only allowed an absence of 6 months from Russia so are arranged with a specific focus. I just saw the current one on Alexander the Great, and last year saw one on the Tsars. Most fascinating to me of that one was the handwork on the Tsarinas dresses in the last few generations of the precommunist era. Nice cafe in which to rest for a few minutes after the show also.

Posted by
15 posts

We will be landing in Brussels at 6am, but with a jetlag recovery sleep, I figured we should be ready to function by 5pm. The current plan is to remian in Brussels one night until 5pm the following day... which means 24 hours in Brussels following jetlag recovery.