Please sign in to post.

Bruges, Ascension Day 2012?

We are visiting Bruges, arriving May16 evening & departing early morning on May 18. I just found out that May 17 is Ascension Day. We were planning on walking & touring the streets of Bruges on the 17th. Is this impracticle inlight of the holiday? Will it be too crowded to see or do anything? Are shops, museums, restaurants, bars, etc open on this day? Will it be difficult to catch an early morning train on the 18th? We must board train in Antwerpen by 10:30am. Thanks for your help & suggestions.

Posted by
3313 posts

I have been in Bruges on Ascension Day. It's quite a spectacle, but many businesses and government offices are closed. No matter! It's a special day. I paid for a seat along the parade route in front of a Chinese restaurant and made many friends while waiting for the parade to arrive. The parade itself is amazing. It's an exciting day and you're lucky to be in town that day. All of the hubbub dies down by the mid-afternoon and you can enjoy Bruges as you hope to. Restaurants will be open.

Posted by
9109 posts

Not to highjack the thread, but I will be arriving in Paris on Ascension Day. I was planning on going to Versailles as the fountains will be turned on because it's a holiday. Does anyone know if there are any special events in Paris that would be noteworthy???

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks Doug. Maybe it will be special to be there that day then. It's just that it's our only day in Bruges & we will probably never get the opportunity to visit again, so we were concerned we wouldn't get to see much due to the crowds & things being closed. You have made me feel better.
Any other info about Ascension Day in Bruges would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by
12040 posts

"Will it be too crowded to see or do anything? Are shops, museums, restaurants, bars, etc open on this day?" I'm not 100% certain about Ascension Day, but in my experience during similar holidays in Belgium, most businesses that cater to visitors remain open. Restaurants almost never close, at most they may have reduced hours on major holidays like Christmas or New Year's.