Please sign in to post.

Brig Switzerland

We are travelling from Paris to Brig stopping over a day before heading to Venice, and we are wondering what to see in the Brig area. Also we will have a eurorail pass - will we require a Swiss pass as well?

Posted by
45 posts

I have been to Brig before and it is a nice town to walk around in and look, several shops. I like going into the mountains. I would suggest taking a trip to Oeschinensee. It is located in Kandersteg, which is a short train trip from Brig, should be covered by your Eurorail pass, takes less than an hour to get there by rail. From the Kandersteg station you can either walk or take a short bus ride to the lift station, up you go, and walk/hike approx 20 mins or so and arrive at a beautiful lake surrounded by rock cliffs on one side of it. Take a picnic meal and enjoy the view. Here is a website that is in a English version also. http://www.oeschinensee.ch/index.php
Open it and click on the picture in the center and then look on the top left hand corner and choose the English tab. It will give you all other information about the area and activities you can do. Not for sure what time of the year you are going. Check the schedule for opening times. You will have to pay for the short bus ride and lift.

Gute Riese!

Posted by
3313 posts

You're right below Zermatt if you want to see the Matterhorn. You can take a train up.

Posted by
11507 posts

I would take the train to Zermatt and spend the day there , it is so cute.

Posted by
17228 posts

Brig to Kandersteg is 36 minutes; add another 30 minutes or so to walk through town and catch the lift to Oeschinensee. It is a lovely spot. www.oeschinensee.ch

Brig to Zermatt: 1 hour 30 minutes each way, plus or minus. A large but car-free village, with lots of shops and lift options. You may or may not see the Matterhorn.

My favorite: Brig to Bettmeralp, a tiny car-free village perched high above the Rhone valley. Reached by train plus cablecar in 4O minutes. Or Riederalp, which is even closer to Brig: www.riederalp.ch. There are various options for lifts to ride from either one up to a peak or viewpoint to see the Aletschgletscher.

Of course part of the choice depends on when you will be going. Some of these options may not be as good in April or early May.

As for the pass---no point in buying a Swiss Pass if you already have a eurail pass. Some of the trains or lifts will require a supplement, but it's still probably cheaper than buying a whole additional Swiss pass.