Please sign in to post.

Breakfast in Paris

Bonjour! Flying to Paris for the first time in 7 days. Rented an adorable apartment just a few blocks from Notre Dame on the edge of Le Marais just down the block from Pompidou Center. Have heard that not many places offer breakfast in Paris, other than croissants and coffee...is this true? If not, any recommendations for adorable inexpensive cafes in that area would be greatly appreciated. Prefer local places as opposed to chains like Starbucks etc. Merci une mille fois!!

Posted by
355 posts

While I don't remember the names, there are several small cafes where you can sit and look out to the fountain at the Pompidou. It's a great place to people watch. Most of the cafes will probably have the more traditional breakfast of croissant, french bread, butter, jam, and maybe yogurt. But you shouldn't have a problem finding breakfast. I assume you are talking about eggs. Just be warned that eggs are cooked very differently in France and are served very runny and undercooked, by American standards. I have never had a problem with them, but I have been with friends and family member who have found their eggs to be inedible.

Posted by
9423 posts

Can't give you names of any particular cafe (my favorite one on Ile St. Louis is not inexpensive) but most cafes will have eggs. We often order them for breakfast, either soft boiled, scrambled or omelet. Linda's so right that omelets and scrambled eggs are usually undercooked so we always say "tres bien cuits, s'il vous plait".

Posted by
358 posts

You can walk to the Marais and eat breakfast at Breakfast in America which is close to the St Paul metro. My son who lives/works in Paris eats here often.

Posted by
1068 posts

Yes, that is true. Of course, you can find an "American-style" breakfast in Paris.... but I am not sure why you would want to. You'll be in Paris, not Muncy! :D If you have dietary restrictions, and must have lean protein in the morning, or must limit carbohydrates, that's another thing entirely. In that case, you can just pop to the shop and get things to cook in your apartment and have a breakfast that suits your needs. Otherwise, just as a side note, the area right around the Pompidou Centre can be slightly "grittier" than "adorable." Maximum adorableness is to be found on the Île de la Cité and the Île Saint-Louis, both of which are just a quick wander from your apartment.

Posted by
10245 posts

@Kira, It's Muncie. Sorry, but the Hoosier in me can't let that go by.
@Normand, the French love "le brunch". It's the in thing to do on the weekend. Just keep your eyes open for signs. Have a great time guys.

Posted by
1068 posts

@Bets - don't apologize! I appreciate the correction. (I hate getting stuff like that wrong.) :D

Posted by
1825 posts

You are staying in a great location and there will be a ton of choices. My wife and I stayed nearby not to long ago. Between jet lag and impatience we would just choose whatever was nearby and looked decent, had several bad over priced meals. Started relying on RS recommendations and were a lot happier with the food. Be open to a different way of eating.

Posted by
109 posts

I think one of the most fun things to do in Paris is to go to the grocery store and buy breakfast/lunch/snack items for your apartment. You get to try new flavors and items, plus it saves a lot over eating out every meal of every day. On the other hand, finding breakfast cereal, oatmeal, or an American style breakfast tends to be at the really touristy places. On the days we would eat out, we always would eat the croissant or whatever small item was served, load up on decent coffee and then stop for a snack a few hours later. It tends to be a theme on the continent to have a semi light breakfast, a large lunch and a light dinner. Try it, you may find that it works well for you.