Please sign in to post.

Booking hotel in Nice, France June 2014

I will be in Nice, France in June 2014 (first time to Europe). I'm looking for a safe clean hotel near the Promenade des Anglais. Any suggestions? Also has anyone had problems booking a hotel thru Booking.com or Expedia.com? Your suggestions/help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Posted by
7036 posts

I booked several hotels in France last summer (including my hotel in Nice) on booking.com and I had no problems. Had a couple of changes in my plans and had to cancel a couple of hotels and had no problem. When using a booking service (whichever one you use) be sure to read the cancelation rules for the particular hotel. Several posters on here use booking.com or another site to locate hotels and get reviews etc and then go to the hotel's website to book (or call, or email the hotel directly). On a couple of the hotels I booked it was actually cheaper on booking.com than on the hotel's website which is why I went ahead and booked on booking.com and I was happy with their service. By the way, the hotel I used in Nice was the Hotel Solara - 2 star budget but clean and safe, elevator, no A/C though - had good reviews on both booking.com and TA. It was on the pedestrian only street, close to old town, the flower market, the tram and bus stops around the main square, and a couple of blocks from the Promenade des Anglais. I would recommend it if you're on a budget.

Posted by
501 posts

My suggestion is Hotel Suisse.....IF....you are able to get a balcony. Invest in a RSteves Guide Book, he covers Nice really well. Also , go to top of this page and enter Nice Hotels in the search box, and see what others have asked and received advise regarding your question.

Posted by
11294 posts

I haven't used Expedia to book a hotel. I have used Booking.com and Hotels.com, without problems. Like Nancy, I prefer to book directly with a hotel, unless another site gives me a better rate or better cancellation terms. And yes, do check the cancellation policy CAREFULLY before booking, whatever the method. Note that it's a bit early to book for June 2014; many hotels won't have their availability loaded into reservation websites (they haven't even determined their rates yet). If you really want to nail down a hotel this early (and unless you have a special situation, there's no need), contact them directly. In 2008, I stayed at the Nice Garden Hotel, which is a few blocks inland from the Promenade des Anglais. It was fine and reasonably priced. http://www.nicegardenhotel.com/

Posted by
405 posts

I found many apartments on vrbo.com were much better priced compared to hotels, especially when you consider that kitchen and laundry facilities are usually included. However, the cancellation policies are sometimes not as flexible. When you first look at apartment listings, it might appear that you have to rent a full week, but if you contact the owner, they will often let you stay less than a week and charge per night.

Posted by
10227 posts

I've used Expedia a few times in Europe. One one trip I booked hotels in Paris and London. Both offered deals where the 5th night was free. Both hotels were nice and great deals with those free nights. On another trip I booked a hotel in Dublin because the 3rd night was free. I have also booked apartments using vrbo and homeaway. Apartments are often less expensive per night. If I have a choice between a hotel or an apartment, I choose the apartment.

Posted by
11507 posts

I have also stayed at Hotel Solara.. and liked it very much. Clean, safe, nice staff, and we had a huge balcony and good a/c , I found it on TA but just booked directly with hotel.. it was cheap too. We didn't have breakfast at hotel but right across street. It is a weird hotel to find as you enter an apartment building and hotel is just top two floors of building.

Posted by
32213 posts

Kim, I'd also recommend Hotel Suisse as it's right at one end of the Promenade des Anglais, and within easy walking distance to the old town. I rarely use websites like booking.com as I prefer to deal directly with the hotel, using their website. I'd suggest booking WELL in advance! Happy travels!

Posted by
782 posts

I have used Booking.com on many occasions for hotels in Europe, and have had excellent experiences. I usually book rooms that are cancellable, and have never had any trouble in doing that when needed. They even helped me cancel one hotel room that WAS listed an non-cancellable, when I had the flu. They got the hotel to cancel without penalty.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I did look at the websites that were suggested. I will be in Nice for about seven days. Maybe I will split up the week and splurge on an Oceanview at the Hotel Suisse for a couple nights and the rest of the week stay at the Nice Garden with the lovely garden view or stay at the Hotel Solara with a balcony view of the city. But I will be picking up a copy of the Rick Steves guide book for the French Riviera. I was hoping that there would be a Rick Steves 7 day French Riviera Tour in the month of June. Thanks again everyone!
Kim