Please sign in to post.

Black Forest Germany

My husband and I are vacationing in Germany during March. I have some of the trip planned. We will stay a couple nights in the Rhine/Mosel area, a couple nights in the Black Forest, a few nights in Garmisch, and two nights in Munich. I have made reservations in a couple places but want to keep things open so we don't feel like we are rushed or on a schedule. I am looking for recommendations for which city/place to stay while in the Black Forest area. Prefer a quaint place with maybe a local pub/tavern nearby. thanks!

Posted by
19109 posts

I would suggest Freudenstadt, sometimes called the capital of the No. Black Forest. It's easily accessible from Baden-Baden, and you can get from there to Stuttgart by way of Eutingen im Gäu. I spent an enjoyable 3 nights there in 2001. There's plenty of restaurants that serve drinks, but I can't tell you about pubs. There's also a not-for-the-shy spa.

Posted by
331 posts

Is this 'not for the shy spa' a typically let it all hang loose German affair with enormous beer bellies on show? There is a German saying that a man without a beer belly is a cripple. Can't say that I find it particularly attractive myself although my husband does boast one. Trying not to stare can be the biggest obstacle. Try dark glasses. Kathy, you can't really go wrong in this area. We found a nice place to eat/drink with atmosphere at the foot of the waterfall in Triberg (not exactly at the foot of the actual falls but just near the entrance where you buy your ticket to visit the waterfall, there are a number of entrances to the falls,and I mean the one in the centre of town) I can't remember the name of the restaurant/pub but it has outdoor seating and is on the right hand side as you face the ticket desk. Main entrance is off the street. Inside has the atmosphere. Triberg has a train station and so day trips are a possibility without too much hassle.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks so much for the information. I have been trying to decide between Freiburg and Triberg and hope to see both and stay in one. I am also interested in Freudenstadt now and will look into that. Glad to hear that you can't go wrong in this area. I look forward to my trip. also curious about the "not for the shy" spa. Thanks again!
Kathy

Posted by
125 posts

I stayed in Freiburg 2 years ago and loved it. It is a small town feel and you can walk almost everwhere although there is a tran for other places you may want to go. It is a college town so there are plenty of pubs and resturants. Let me know if you have any questions.

Posted by
19109 posts

From Freudenstadt, you can go by train down the Kinzig to Hausach and there pick up the Schwarzwaldbahn which hugs the cliffs up the Gutach valley to Triberg.

Posted by
6663 posts

"I am looking for recommendations for which city/place to stay while in the Black Forest area. Prefer a quaint place with maybe a local pub/tavern nearby" Freiburg is quite a large place - hardly quaint. And not in the BF, really. Freudenstadt is a pleasant place but a little larger and a little more modern than most BF "villages". It might be a good choice in March when there's not a lot going on but cold weather. That would put you a healthy distance from Freiburg, however. Since you want to visit both Freiburg and Triberg, I'd suggest Gengenbach, near Offenburg, which is on the Offenburg-Triberg line, the Black Forest Railway route and gives you quick access to Freiburg as well. From there you could also venture beyone Triberg to other villages like gorgeous Schiltach and Freudenstadt easily enough. Gengenbach is an immensely attractive cobblestoned village with old walls and towers and lots of half-timbered buildings; it oozes charm. It's much lower in elevation than Triberg or Freudenstadt, so you'll be less hampered if there's snow. Staying in Gengenbach, Freudenstadt, or Triberg entitles you to free rail and bus travel during your stay; ask your hosts for a "Konus Karte", which is all you need. http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/konus Photos of Gengenbach: http://www.stadt-gengenbach.de/de/tourismus/Bildergalerie/Altstadt/

Posted by
3 posts

Such great feedback! I really appreciate all the input. All these options, this is exactly what I had hoped to get. Great to know about the size of these cities i had nothing to go on. Thanks again, everyone!
Kathy

Posted by
331 posts

It's not only Gengenbach, Freudenstadt or Triberg that offer these free rail tickets, its also most of the smaller places as well, (the pass is also valid for bus and tram travel in the area). Just ask at your hotel/BB when you arrive. As far as I am aware, you are entitled to this free pass when you pay your tourist tax. Do try to take a train journey (especially if it's free!), there are more tunnels in this part of Germany per mile than anywhere else in the country and of course wonderful vistas that you can't see by car. (By the way tourist tax is only a few Euros)

Posted by
19109 posts

In 2008, I stayed for three nights in Bad Herrenalb, a streetcar's ride out of Karlsruhe. The first day I took the bus to Baden-Baden via Gernsbach. The next day, I took a bus to Bad Wildbad, then the streetcar to Pforzheim, then a train up the Nagold to Calw, and back. All with the Konus Karte, for "free" (the Kurtax was included, regardless of if I used the Konus Karte).