Please sign in to post.

Bilbao

My daughter will be in Bilbao spain studying abroad. My husband and 2 other college daughters are flying into Barcelona on March 1 then traveling to Bilboa and then flying out of Madrid on March 10th. Can anyone give any tips for this trip. Affordable places to stay and Places to see?

Posted by
9110 posts

What are you going to use for ground transportation? It makes a difference.

Posted by
9 posts

we have no plan yet. Just booked plane reservations. Any ideas?

Posted by
9110 posts

Probably. I grew up there and still go back every few years. Make up your mind on the ground transportation first. Here's a starting point: I don' use trains, but it'd bet that Barcelona to Bilbao is about eight hours, maybe more, with one change down around Miranda de Ebro or Burgos. There's also going to be time spent getting from El Prat to Sants, plus everwhat those bus/tram tickets cost. The run to Madrid is probably six hours, I don't know if there'd be a change or not. I haven't the foggiest idea of train costs. A seven-pax van (you'll need it for basic luggage and school junk, and it will still be tight) will run a hundred bucks a day. Gas for the basic trip will cost about a hundred and fifty, double that number for wandering around. Barcelona to Bilbao is five hours and a bit of road time. Bilbao to Madrid is right at four. It's freeway the whole way. There's probably a hundred bucks worth of tolls. The interesting/neat stuff around Bilbao is out a half hour in various directions, most not well-served by public transportation. Two more questions: How long do you have for this project and where's the kid going to school in Bilbao?

Posted by
1 posts

In Bilbao, you must see the Guggenheim Museum. It's fantastic...looks rather like a big titanium ship and we saw it filled with Caulder mobiles...incredible. Sarah from Texas

Posted by
133 posts

We did this route last May. We traveled to from Barcelona to San Sebastian by train which took approx 5.5 hours, the last hour was especially scenic in the mountains. The following afternoon we took the bus (one hour trip) to Bilbao. A couple of days later we took the train from Bilbao to Madrid which is again about a 5 hour ride with the first hour full of beautiful scenery. I definitely recommend visiting San Sebastian one evening while you are so near, the pintxos (tapas) are amazingbut they don't start serving them in earnest until after 8pm. If you decide to sleep over in San Seb I can recommend a hotel. Do visit the Guggenheim in Bilbao even if you're not a big fan of modern art, the building alone is worth the visit. We also found the Basque Museum very interesting and informative. If you stay in the Old Town area in Bilbao, request a room away from the street. The street cleaners come through between about midnight-4am and power wash the cobblestones which can make quite a racket. You will need a car to see the surrounding towns and area. There are buses but I think they are "milk runs" and have sporadic schedules. There is an airport at Bilbao so flying from BCN to Bilbao is an option. Are you planning to spend some time in Barcelona before heading to Bilbao?

Posted by
9 posts

My trip is less than 3 weeks. We have decided to do a train from Barcelona it Bilboa. Does anyone have any recommendations where to stay in Barcelonia? What is a must to see there? Did you think it was dangerous? Thanks for the tip in San Sebastion. We arrive on Friday at 8:00 Am and plan on taking train on Sunday..Will that be enough time in Barcelona. I understand everything is closed on Sunday's.. then after Bilboa..we fly out of Madrid.. How many days do we need there and can you recommend a place to stay there?

Posted by
638 posts

Since Rick recommends him I feel it's OK to recommend going to Madridman.com for some info on where to stay in Barcelona. He has a lot of great info and links to a lot of places to stay in all the cities in Spain, not just Madrid, there is also a message board where you can get some answers. http://www.madridman.com/

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for the website. Have you been to Barcelona? If so, do you think 2 days will be OK? My daughter has to be back at class on Monday in BilBoa. You did not mention Madrid. We will leave BilBoa to go to Madrid but I am not sure how many days we need to stay there.Thanks for your help. She is attending UNIVERSITY OF DEUSTO. Have you been to BilBoa? She is having horrible weather. Hardly has seen the sun since she has been there..We plan on rain coats and dress warm.