Please sign in to post.

Biking in Paris

Helloooo-
For my trip to paris in 3 months I hope to travel by bicycle most/all the time. I live in nyc now and travel by 2wheels daily and would like to do the same in europe.
Last time I was there they had just introduced the Velib system but I had seen Samantha Brown on travel channel say that you could not use american cards...Now that I know you can...I am staying in the 19th and there is a velib station near my hostel as well as all over. I know you must return bikes every 30 minutes which makes me nervous as I'm not great at navigating paris...Anyone give me some advice on not going broke and successfully getting by without having to use the metro much? (the bikes are 1 euro a day as opposed to buying train carnets)

Posted by
1068 posts

Biking is fun, and the Velib stations are absolutely everywhere - but Paris is such an incredibly walkable city that I'd recommend skipping the bike and walking. There are so many small pleasures, packed so close together, that crusing by at speed on a bike might dilute your experience a bit.

Agree that for getting around from location A to location B, a bike will make it speedy - but why speed through Paris? Just my two cents'.

Posted by
160 posts

Actually, the first 30 minutes are free. After that the rate is something like 1 euro up to the first hour, 3 euro for 90 minutes, 7 euro for 2 hours... The steep rates are meant to keep them in circulation. There's literally at least one mini station every 300 or so yards and over 1,600 stations in the city. Great way to get from point to point, but not for the long haul without changing bikes every 30 minutes. You may want to rent a standard mountain or street bike during your stay, if you have someplace safe to keep it. Bike theft is a big business in Paris, even the Velib bikes. Don't forget to wear your helmet and have a great time!

If you get into Paris on a Monday or Tuesday, a weekly metro pass is the way to go. Just bring a small photo of yourself and you're good to go...unlimited.