Please sign in to post.

Berner Oberland in May

I am planning on going to the Berner Oberland for 2-3 nights May 10-13, what town do you recommend staying in during May? I would really like to stay in Gimmewald but if another town would be better, I would love to hear your advice, I have contacted the hostel and Esthers in Gimmewald and they are open. I have read other posts that say Gimmewald isn't very central if you would like to travel between all of the towns, does anyone know if the hikes are difficult between gimmewald, wengen and murren?

Thanks

Lindsat

Posted by
12040 posts

If you stay in Gimmelwald, there's no reason to go out of your way to visit Wengen. The main activity here is hiking anyway (although conditions won't be great while you're there). Murren is only a short hike up the road. Because half the businesses in Murren will still probably be closed, you may as well stay in Gimmelwald, which only has a few businesses anyway.

Posted by
6898 posts

If you plan on hiking in mid-May, expect some wet trails from the higher snow runoff. CLICK HERE to see a list of Berner Oberland hikes.

Posted by
56 posts

I too was thinking seriously of heading down to the Berner Oberland for a few days of hiking in late May/early June. Not so sure if it is still a good idea. As Tom and Larry and others have pointed out, might be a bit wet and not everything open. Still, I have also heard the wildflowers will be blooming and it will be less crowded. Have you discovered anything useful or found good sources of information? Please share if you have and I will do the same. I am sure you have seen myswitzerland.com by now. A good place to start.

Also considering heading from Munich to the the Bavarian Alps or the Dolomites instead of the Berner Oberland.

Posted by
2193 posts

I can recommend Chalet Fontana in Murren should you need an alternative to Gimmelwald…super clean and prices are very reasonable. Check www.tripadvisor.com for details and photos. I’m sure they’re open by May. Contact Denise (owner) at: [email protected]

Posted by
118 posts

I have contacted a few places in gimmewald they are open, they recommend coming, they just said it's really hard to predict the weather up in that elevation.

I have decided to definatly go during May, and hope the weather is good.

A website I have enjoyed is
http://www.gimmelwald.ch/en/seasons/january.htm

Posted by
113 posts

I stayed two nights at Esther's to experience Rick's 'real' Switzerland - one day in G'wald was enough to get the ambience, and I loved it. Then I moved up to Chalet Helvetia for the rest of the week which worked well, b/c there is a better variety of hikes from there - and the views are even more spectacular than from G'wald. Rick's hike from G'wald down to the river and back is easy and lovely. Also you can take the gondola up to Murren and walk back down to Murren. From Murren you can to the Schilthorn - ride up, walk down; or take the very flat and scenic walk along the train tracks to the lift down to Lauterbrunnen; there is a nice cafe there, and you can ride the little train back to Murren. You can also hike down to Lauterbrunnen, a longer and rougher hike, but very doable. For Wengen, you would take a little train from L'brunnen and then the lift from Wengen up to the peak. That's a good half-day hike, not hard just long - I loved it! Caught the train back to Wengen.