Please sign in to post.

Berner Oberland

Ok, what town to stay in, and which B&B/hotel, etc?? Going in July. Staying 3 days.

Posted by
32202 posts

Katina, That's a difficult question to answer, as my preferences or criteria may not be the same as yours. Also, you didn't say what type of facilities and "comfort level" you prefer, or the price range? My preferences would be to stay in Lauterbrunnen or Mürren. Which to choose will depend to some extent on what you want to do while there. Mürren is on the side of a mountain, so much more convenient for hiking, It's a wonderful, smaller and very picturesque town and has some good Hotels. Lauterbrunnen is on the valley floor and is more convenient as a "transportation hub", as that's where the trains terminate. You can easily get from there to Gimmelwald and Mürren (via two routes), the Jungfrau or other places in the valley. If possible, I'd suggest checking your local Library or Bookstores to see if you can find a copy of the Switzerland Guidebook, as there's LOTS of information there on each of the towns and the accommodations available. For travel in July, I'd suggest booking something SOON! Happy travels!

Posted by
1434 posts

Katina, I wouldn't stay in Interlaken. Like Ken said...it depends on if you want to stay on the valley floor, or up in one of the car free villages. they are all good. I would stay in either Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren. Gimmelwald is another choice, but it's very small and very quiet. I also agree with Ken you should get a copy of Rick Steve's Switzerland guide. The new edition just came out this past week. One other thing you could do is to do a search of past discussions on this site. You should get a wealth of information that way.

Posted by
15 posts

Oh, I have Rick's Switzerland travel guide and have done extensive research in it, on this site, and also online. I know some ppl go to places not mentioned in his book(s) and I just wanted to see what comes up on this wall! My husband and I like traditional and quaint, without giving up certain amenities (bath/toilet). We like doing local things with the locals, so to speak. So any more specifics you (all) can offer, much appreciated!!

Posted by
77 posts

Jill does have a point if you want to be in a small "quainter" village. I suggest Interlaken because it's more central, a little bigger and you can get to many places from there since if you are only staying for 3 days you might be "on the move" No matter which you pick, you will not be dissapointed!! It's all beautiful.

Posted by
1434 posts

Alright Katina I'll bite since you've done your research and are just looking for feedback. We've stayed at the Staubbach Hotel,in Lauterbrunnen and are staying there again this summer. We really liked it! They are very friendly and welcoming. It's definitely an older hotel, but they are doing a great job renovating it. Some of the things I really like about it are the view of Staubbach waterfall, and the breakfast. We listened to a group of people practicing their alphorns in the church parking lot next door one evening - it was magical. It's about a 5 minute walk from the train station. We're really looking forward to staying there again. We've also stayed at the Eiger Guesthouse in Murren. It's really a different feel staying up in Murren, and looking down on the valley, and across at Wengen. We also really enjoyed the Eiger Guesthouse. It's a little small with a very small narrow stairwell up to the rooms, but the room itself was nice, and we had a great view from our balcony. The food at their restaurant was really excellent also. I understand they are under new mgmt now. We're going to try out staying in Wengen at the Baren Hotel this summer also. It gets great reviews so I'm looking forward to it. Like I said.....I don't think you can go wrong no matter where you stay!

Posted by
15 posts

Jill...that is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was hoping for! I have sent an inquiry already to the Eiger Guesthouse...didn't consider staying in Lauterbrunnen. Pros and cons there vs. Muerren? Have you tried Gimmelwald? My worry is "what to do in the evenings" in Gimmelwald?!

Posted by
1434 posts

I think that's a valid concern which is why we have not stayed there. We're not party animals, but don't want dead quiet either. Lauterbrunnen and Murren both have a very little bit of action in the evening. There are people walking sit outside eating etc. We liked walking through Murren in the evening and playing chess on the giant board.

Posted by
813 posts

Bern would be a good choice. It's in the center of the Berner Oberland.

Posted by
797 posts

I would definitely stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren. Murren's location on the edge of the valley is more spetacular but while you are closer for hiking, you are a bit more remote for any other travel you want to do in the area as the only way in and out of Murren is an aerial tram or a long slow walk. We stayed at the Alpina and requested a valley view room. It was not cheap but standing on the balcony looking straight down into the valley was just awesome. At a location like this our rule is to spend a few extra dollars and get the view ... it is not that significant in the total cost of the trip. You can check out Murren at muerren.ch. That being said, my preference would be to stay in Lauterbrunnen for better access to the rest of the area. We last stayed at the Staubach in a small third floor room with a valley view and can't wait to do it again. As has been said above it is an older hotel but quite nice and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We have not stayed at the Hotel Oberland (Never could get in) but we almost always have dinner there, on the front porch if possible, it's about the only place in the world where we want to eat outside if possible. Both of these hotels will pop readily on a Google search. Make your reservations NOW, maybe sooner. Have a great trip!

Posted by
16247 posts

What do you plan to do there? Hiking? Riding lifts/boats/trains? When in July are you going? You might hit a Dorffest (village celebration) if you are there at the right time. That migh tinfluence where you choose to stay.

Posted by
1434 posts

Kathy in Germany, Germany have you been to the Berner Oberland?

Posted by
9420 posts

We've been to and stayed in Murren twice - it's our favorite place of all there. We stayed at the Hotel Eiger, had a balcony, and liked it very much.

Posted by
57 posts

We love to hike so we liked the idea of staying in Murren where no cars were allowed. It was very close to many different hiking trails. We stayed at the Chalet Fontana and had a wonderful time. Denise, the owner was very helpful in planning some hikes for us. Have a great time.

Posted by
32746 posts

Bern in the centre of the BO? Uh, no.

Posted by
515 posts

My parents and I are going to the BO this June. We will be staying in Murren at Hotel Jungfrau. Alan and Veronique own the hotel and when we called them their English was superb and were extremely friendly. The only problem with Murren is that is it is car free, no cars allowed. We will be going to the Schilthorn and the Jungfraujoch and will be seeing Trummelbach falls which in inside the mountain in the town of Lauterbrunnen. Enjoy your trip, I hope we do!

Posted by
1633 posts

I have stayed at Hotel Alpina in Muerren. This hotel is literally on the edge. If you get a balcony room, you look down at the valley and out to the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau. They have a great buffet breakfast. It's family owned and a bit worn. Free internet access is in the lobby. My daughter and I enjoyed the folklure night in Muerren. It takes place on Wednesday nights at 20:30 from June through August. Mürren's Sportzentrum hosts this lively free cultural night with alpenhorns, folk music, and local wine. The grocery store in the town has your basic needs. We'll also purchase picnic supplies in the stores down in the valley before we go up to Muerren. Have a great trip.

Posted by
15 posts

Oh my gosh! Thank YOU EVERYONE for the posts/comments! It is all so helpful and we are so excited to go! Please - if you think of anything else, keep 'em coming!! ~Katina

Posted by
15 posts

Denise~ Where do they hold the folklore night, exactly, in Muerren? Is it something that is pretty much "posted" - or does a particular hotel hold it, etc?!

Posted by
15 posts

Ooops, I just re-read your post, Denise.... Nevr mind!!

Posted by
299 posts

When my husband can't sleep at night I remind him of the panorama of spectacular mountains you see from the balcony of the Alpina Hotel, and then the waterfalls cascading down into the Lauterbrunnen valley floor. This
has been one of the very best memories of my life. We stayed there about 30 years ago and then again last year. Tip: the Hotel Blumenthal has the best food in town and is very pretty.

Posted by
24 posts

My wife and I have been to Murren twice, staying at Rick Steve's recommended hotel in Gimmelwald (took the aerial tram to Murren and walked back). But this last trip we stayed on the lake Brienzee, just west of Interlaken at Seehotel Terrasse, Seestrasse 22, CH-3806 Bonigen (ph 41 (0) 33 827 07 70. We had a great room with a balcony overlooking Brienzee and they served up great breakfasts (included).

Posted by
10 posts

If you are looking for night life and a choice of restaurants, I'd stay in Interlaken. It is only a short trip into Lauterbrunnen and the cable cars that take you to either Murren or Wengen. I spend much time just resting with my head on my backpack and watching the clouds around the Jungfrau!