Please sign in to post.

Berlin's Museum Island-2015?

I read that if one was only to make one trip to Berlin in the next few years, one should wait until 2015 because the collections shown will be greater and their presentation better. Does anyone know if this is true? Ann

Posted by
2297 posts

Museum collections are always changing. And yes, this is more true with Berlin's museum island than with other collections as they are still lots of restaurations going on. However, even with what's available NOW few tourists manage to see everything there is on display. In 2015 it will be even more to see and it will be even harder to make the choices of what to see and what to leave out.

Posted by
671 posts

I saw some of the exhibits on Museum Island in December of 2008 and shortly afterwards, they opened new exhibits. I still wouldn't trade our visit to Berlin for anything. The planet could end in 2012 (kidding!); why wait??

Posted by
337 posts

Some remarks: the so called "master plan 2015" consists of a) renovating all five buildings and b) a new building housing a central entrance foyer, ticket counters, etc and a tunnel system turning the five buildings into one functional unit. As you can see this will not substantially increase the exhibition area, there are two post-2015 ideas which would do that: the "master plan II" (a new building outside the island) and the "master plan III" (using a rebuild city palace as an exhibition building), but right now these are merely dreams of the SPKB foundation. The renovations of the Alte Nationalgalerie, the Bode-Museum, and the Neue Museum are already finished, so these will not change 2015...

Posted by
2779 posts

The world can change dramatically in 2015. For example by then the new BBI - Berlin-Brandenburg-International airport will have replaced Tegel and Schönefeld airports. It will be THE Central European oneworld-alliance hub - and fees will have gone up significantly. Low cost carriers will not be flying to Berlin anymore - similar to them not flying into Frankfurt today. What will your financial situation be like 5 years from now? What will your own physical condition be like? There already are thousands of unique artefacts on museum island and it already takes days to really see them all...