Please sign in to post.

Berchtesgaden day trip

We're planning to do a trip from Salzburg to Berchetesgaden in late June. I've read in a few places that tours aren't worth it and it's quite easy to go at yourself (i.e. http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=32572).

Few questions:

1) Are bus/Eagle Nest tickets easy to buy and readily available on the day of? I don't want to skip the pre-purchased tour and get stuck on tickets when we get over there.

2) Is the restaurant in the Eagle's Nest good? Overpriced? Worth it?

3) If we're doing the salt mines in Hallstatt, is there anything else really worth doing in Berchtesgaden while we're there?

Thanks!

Posted by
19118 posts

When I was there a few years ago, bus tickets from Berchtesgaden to the base of Kehlstein, the mountain on which the Eagles' Nest sits, were not hard to get at the Berchtesgaden Hbf. Understand that there are special buses from the base to the top of the mountain, equally available to everyone.

I have eaten twice at the Eagles' Nest and didn't find the prices any different than anywhere else.

'is there anything else really worth doing in Berchtesgaden.

Yes. The Dokumentation Center, at the base of the mountain is worth half a day. In addition to exhibits explaining how the Nazis were able to take over, you can visit the bunkers that once connected the SS garrison there with the vacation homes of key Nazis. The cruise on the Königssee is worth taking. And the town of Berchtesgaden, itself, is worth a visit.

Posted by
7209 posts

Where are the salt mines in Germany? Anywhere near Munich?