Please sign in to post.

Berchtesgaden

We are traveling from Munich to Salzburg in Sept. 2012 and was wondering...it is possible to take in all these? Eagle Nest Tour, Boat trip on Lake Königssee Salt mine tour and still get to Salzburg before dark? Do we need to book these in advance?
We would appreciate any help you can give.

Posted by
19099 posts

If you just went by car from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden without knowing exactly where you were going and when which venues were open, and if you didn't plan in advance where to go first and how long to stay in each place, then no. Two of the three places, probably. If you planed it out well, in advance, you could do all three in a day with public transportation. Note, you can't drive to the eagle's Nest by car. You'll be dependent on buses and their schedule regardless. And, unless you just drive to the shore of Königssee and say "Königssee, check", you'll be dependent on the boat schedules, too. In 2002, we spent three nights (two days) in Berchtesgaden. The first morning, we took the bus to Wimmbach Brücke and hiked through the Klamm. After lunch, we took the bus to Königsee and took the boat all the way to Salet, stopping to see St. Bart's on the way. From Salet, we walked across the bar to see the Obersee, which is the best sight on the lake. Then we took the boat back to Schönau. The next day we took the buses to the Nest and stayed long enough for lunch, then went down and spent the entire afternoon in the Dokumentation Center museum and touring the ruins of the SS bunkers in Obersalzberg. I've been to Salzburg, too. I feel there is far more to see and do in Berchtesgaden. Plan on spending at least one night there. Better yet, stay the entire time in Berchtesgaden and do a day trip to Salzburg with the bus or train.

Posted by
12 posts

We drove from Munich to Berchtesgaden. The drive takes a couple of hours. Once you are there, you have to wait for the bus schedule. The bus ride up takes about 1/2 hr. I just think that you would be really pushing it to do all 3 in one day. If you do go up, put on some bug spray as the bees are really bad especially when you are stuck in the elevator.

Posted by
19099 posts

Oh. Did you mean drive from Munich, see all those things, and get to Salzburg by dark? I guess if you leave Munich at 3 or 4 in the morning. I looked at the duration of tours and the boat and bus schedules, and the sum of the times just at each venue is at least 6-1/2 hours.

Posted by
190 posts

Hi Joni, My husband and I rented a car in Salzburg and want'ed to do something simalar to what you want to do. We only managed to get the Eagles Nest (which took most of our time)we took the time to go through the musuem and bunker system, before going to the Eagles Nest, then took a nice leisurely drive to Lake Konigssee. By the time we got back it was dark. No need to book in advance, once at the Eagles Nest make sure to book a time to take the bus up and when you get up top book a time to return, 2 hours was enough for us. Wendy

Posted by
12172 posts

The drive is about two hours from Munich, then 40 minutes into Salzburg - so there is time for a full day of touring. You always lose time between activities so planning 6 1/2 hours would be overly optimistic - plus you have to eat.

Posted by
20 posts

I have been to the Obersalzburg multiple times. I would skip the "Adlerhorst" (Eagle's Nest) Many people confuse it with the Berghof, Hitler's house, which is completly destroyed and razed, and was in the general vicinity of the Dokumentation Obersalzburg, the museum and tourable bunker complex. Hitler visited the Adlerhorst on rare occasion, he is rumored to be somewhat of an acrophobe. Today it is known as the Kehlsteinhaus, (it's on top of the mountain Kehlstein) and while it is a nice view, it is nothing more than a operating restaurant and as such is not worth the time (or expense) out of your limited day. You can drive from Munich and easily do the Dokumentation Obersalzburg and tour the Königsee by boat, hike a bit and still make it back to Munich for a late dinner.
But, by all means, do not skip the Dokumentation Obersalzburg. It is a fascinating look at the area, including the post-war when it was a US installation.