Please sign in to post.

Belgium

I will be in Belgium for a week. I am going directly to Brugges. Does anyone have suggestions as far as side trips to other cities. I will go to Brussels for at least one day. Has anyone been to Ghent of Antwerp ot any other city in Belgium?

Posted by
2788 posts

Does the week include traveling in the first day and traveling out the 7th day? If not you are in good shape.
If 2 days are spent traveling you really only have 5 full days to plan for. I spent 4 nights in Bruges and one night in Brussels last summer (2007) and found that to be a good plan for my time. I really enjoyed Bruges and would go back there in a minute - not so Brussels. Happy travels.

Posted by
12040 posts

If you would like to take a side trip, here are a few suggestions:

Antwerpen feels like a large, bustling city. It contains one of the largest and most under-rated Gothic cathedrals in Europe, full of art by Ruebens. I personally prefer Antwerpen's Grote Platz over the version in Brussels. The city, however, is a bit gritty (as expected for Europe's busiest port).

If you travel in the summer, Oostende and the surroundings have large sandy beaches. Good swimming weather can be unpredictable, though.

Finally, if you're a young adult, you may enjoy the night-time cafe scene in the university town of Leuven. Sit back and enjoy the people watching on the market square, if school is in session. Some of the Gothic structures in town are also quite impressive.

Posted by
192 posts

We just got back from Amsterdam/Belgium, and wish we'd spent more time in Bruges. (I'd go back tomorrow if my laundry was done and I had a free plane ticket!)
The bobbin-lace ladies are amazing. What is stated in the RS book is true--they are only 'open' certain hours. It cost us only E2.50 each to go in.
The ladies will answer questions (they've heard a million times, I'm sure) and you can take photos.
I wish I had just said to heck with the budget and bought a piece of their lace. What they have for sale there is pricey but worth it. The little lace museum is amazing also--lovely, lovely pieces.