Please sign in to post.

bed bugs

I am not trying to be gross or suggest lack of cleanliness but is there much of a bed bug problem in Germany at this time? A lot of earlier posts (from 2-3 yrs ago ) suggest looking at your mattress upon arriving. Okay...what do you do then if you find evidence of them?

Posted by
11507 posts

No more of a problem with bedbugs in Europe as there is in States, really, look it up.
I personally have never found any, and I have stayed in many hotels in Europe, mostly in the budget-moderate catergory. If I found some I would refuse to stay in room. Worst case scenario is that hotel will deny the issue and refuse to refund you , but I never prepay and hotels I stay in mostly have 24 hr cancellation policies so most they could ding me would be for first night. I hope I don't have the experience though. Bedbugs have nothing to do with cleanliness.. they come in with other guests, they have been found at the Hilton on Wakiki Beach, and in Stay and Saves ,, they are just little hitchhikers and wherever travellers go, they go.

Posted by
10239 posts

And now hospitals everywhere are battling them, too.

Posted by
1570 posts

And public libraries. Just today they discovered a new infestation at my workplace. Ugh.

Posted by
4535 posts

Bedbugs are not a nationwide problem. They are highly localized, typically to a specific hotel that gets an infestation (which can be hard to eradicate). Some cities seem to have more of an overall problem, but I'm not sure why that is or if it is really true or just a mis-perception. Tripadvisor, or another heavily used hotel review site will almost for sure have comments if people found bedbugs. So you can always check your hotel's reviews before you go (if you haven't already).

Posted by
11507 posts

Douglas I disagree , bedbugs are now more and more of a nationwide problem. Simmply google " are bedbugs a nationwide problem" ,, article after article sites the problem is in fact nationwide and increasing. Suggest you always check your bedding no matter where you go. PS
As noted bedbugs are not only a "bed" problem but any uplostered furniture can harbour them, movie theater seat, banquet seating in restaurants, etc.