Please sign in to post.

Bayeux, France

Where is a good place to stay in Bayeux? My friend and I will be there for several days and would like something quiet and comfortable. Thank you.

Posted by
32224 posts

Millie, Many on the HelpLine seem to recommend Hotel d'Argouges in Bayeux. You could also have a look at Hotel Churchill. The Guidebook has other suggestions or you could check Trip Advisor. Happy travels!

Posted by
9423 posts

We love Hotel d'Argouges in Bayeux. We've stayed there more than 6 times and many others I know who've stayed there loved it. It's a beautiful manor house with lovely gardens, free parking, large rooms, good beds, large bathrooms, very clean, excellent breakfast served in their dining room, a wonderful owner, Mme Ropartz, and very nice, helpful staff. It's in the heart of town, on the main square (wonderful outdoor market couple days a week), but up a long driveway so it feels secluded and is very quiet. It's very reasonably priced. Recommend it highly.

Posted by
922 posts

I stayed at the Churchill in July and found it to be a great location and a comfortable hotel. It was not the easiest place to find initially, but I would recommend it. It is a short walk away from the Tapestry museum and many restaurants.

Posted by
1318 posts

Another enthusiastic vote for the Hotel d'Argouges.

Posted by
4140 posts

Millie , the hotels other posters have mentioned all get glowing reviews, and there is no doubt as to what they say . Since you don't indicate your dates of travel , you may not find these properties available . At the risk of being an apostate when it comes to this aspect of travel , I am not opposed to using chain hotels like Accor . We stayed in Bayeux two years ago for five nights at the Bayeux Novotel . It was very nice ,very convenient to the center of town ( Bayeux is not that large and very walkable ) and substantial free parking at the hotel ( we had a car so that was convenient ) . There are travelers who seem opposed to using the chains for some strange reason , and while I use a variety of lodging ( Chains , small independents , B&B's , etc . ) Chains like Accor , Best Western , etc. are part of the available repertoire . Bayeux is a beautiful place , enjoy it .

Posted by
1512 posts

You can also check Hotel Le Tardif, Noble Guesthouse, a beautiful manor house also within walking distance of the Tapestry and the Cathedral. It has a beautiful garden with space for car parking. In 2010 the breakfast at the hotel was 8euro each, way more than we usually spend. But we were only there for one night and decided to eat there. How often do you eat breakfast in an 18th century manor? You can review it on booking.com.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you to everyone who responded! I'm excited to dive into this. This is fun.

Posted by
80 posts

I was pleased with Hotel Le Bayeux. It was convenient and priced right.
The staff was pleasant and helpful.

Posted by
15 posts

We just booked at Hotel Le Bayeux for three nights in May. Very helpful and appears to be conveniently located to the train station (we will be train traveling - no car). I tried looking for places in May - many are booked (Churchill and Mathilde). However, I was looking for a group of 9, so it might be they didn't have enough rooms to accomodate my group. Best of luck!

Posted by
48 posts

I can highly recommend the Hotel Le Tardif, Noble Guesthouse. My husband and I stayed there and felt like royalty. A rare treat!

Posted by
13 posts

Le Tardif, Noble Guesthouse looks very interesting. What are the pros and cons? Thank you again for all of your posts!

Posted by
33 posts

Ditto on Hotel Reine Mathilde. We paid about $100 per night there last March. It was quiet, though it seems the sidewalks roll up around 8 pm in general...room and bath clean, though very basic. Free wifi! There is a nice cafe attached to the hotel. It is right across from the post office and teh Notre Dame Cathedral, and one block from the main drag--shops, cafes, etc..