Please sign in to post.

Bayern Ticket

My wife and I are going to be flying into Munich on a Thursday, and then boarding a train Pfronten from the Munich train Station. As far as I understand, the Bayern ticket would cover us for the train ride to from the airport to train station and then also the train ride from Munich to Pfronten. I am looking online and can purchase the ticket in advance, but not sure if I should, in case we get delayed or something else occurs. So my two questions are, is the Bayern ticket flexible in that it is not for a specific train ride, just for a specific day? And is it wise to buy the ticket beforehand via the DB website rather than at the airport? (If so, do we just validate on our first train ride?) Thanks and sorry for being so long winded. Brad

Posted by
9149 posts

I would just buy it when you get there. It is not train specific and it isn't cheaper to buy it ahead of time.

Posted by
19238 posts

No reason to buy the Bayern-Ticket in advance. It's an all day pass, valid for unlimited travel on regional trains in Bavaria and all the conveyances in Munich all day long, after 9 AM workdays. You can buy it at any time from an automat in the S-Bahn station at the airport and it will be valid for the S-Bahn to the Hauptbahnhof and from there to Pfronten. I see that there are a number of ways to get to Pfronten, depending on when you get to the Munich Hbf. You can go to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and take the train(s) of the Ausserfernbahn through the Tirol to Pfronten. You can also go to Kempten, then by train to Pfronten. Or, you can go to Füssen and then take one of the many buses from Füssen Bahnhof to Pfronten. Pfronten is one of my back doors, a lovely town by itself, I hope you like it. Up_date: I just found a Bayern-Ticket I bought in Oct 2007 at the automat in the Munich airport S-Bahn station. It's squarish, almost 3"x3" and much too wide to go in the cancelling machine. At the top is printed "Gültig am 04.10.07" (valid on Oct. 4, 07). On the other hand, two years later I bought a Gesamtnetz Tageskarte (MVV network day ticket) to get from the airport to the inner zone. It's less than 2" wide and has "Hier ENTWERTEN" printed on the end. I cancelled it. If you get a Bayern-Ticket which needs to be cancelled, it will have"Hier entwerten" printed on the end with arrows where you insert it in the machine. You will need to sign your name in block letters on the Bayern-Ticket and whoever signs it has to be with the ticket at all times when it is being used.