Please sign in to post.

Baths at Baden Baden

My wife and I want to go to the baths in Baden Baden but we're not quite sure which baths to visit...Friedrichsbad or Caracalla. My wife is not too sure about the nude parts. Which is the best baths for the money?

Posted by
7548 posts

I would suggest the Caracalla baths. It is more like a waterpark, more informal, no set regime, and you can keep your suit on without missing out on anything. The only part that is nude are the Saunas on an upper level. We had a great time after a long travel day, all of the warm water and jets were just what we needed. I would however strongly suggest you take a deep breath, shuck your suit, and sauna in the nude with the Germans. Believe me, regardless of your body type, you will fit in (remember, many elderly Germans are "prescribed" the baths for health reasons) This can certainly be one of the highlights of your trip.

Posted by
12 posts

Paul is correct about Caracalla being like a waterpark. It has several pools and fountains. You wear a bathing suit except for upstairs. It would be a good place to go with children.

Having said that, I would recommend Friedrichsbad for you and your wife because it is so very different from anything you can experience in the USA. Yes, it's totally nude and it's also co-ed once you get to the soaking pools, but if you can get past that (somehow it really helped that my husband & I didn't hear anyone speaking English. That helped us feel invisible) you can have an amazing experience. Europeans see nudity at the baths as a very natural, non-sexual thing. They don't look & they don't judge. I was a modest, overweight, flabby 50 year old when we went and I can tell you that it was one of the most empowering experiences of my life. Be brave. You won't regret it.

Posted by
473 posts

We did both baths and loved them. We did them on different days, which gave us a nice break in between. To add to Paul's excellent comments on the Caracalla baths, take a towel with you from your hotel. The nude saunas are very strict about you placing a towel between your bum and the bench that you sit on, for hygiene's sake. Friedrichsbad is more like a full spa treatment, with an extended program of saunas, steamrooms, and pools. I walked out of there feeling like an overcooked spaghetti noodle and loved every second of it. Caracalla, as Paul mentioned, is more like a water park, with a more fun atmosphere. When I was in the Caracalla saunas, nobody was ogling anybody. Everybody pretty much kept to themselves.

Posted by
368 posts

Hi Jim:

I was in Baden-Baden last year and went to the Friedrichsbad baths. I was very nervous before hand about the nudity. However as other posters have said, after about 3 minutes you forget. No one cares. The experience is more than worth it. At the end they wrap you up in a warm blanket in a quiet room and it is heaven. I have never been so relaxed in my life! Be sure you get the brush and soap massage

Step out of your comfort zone and try it. It will be an experience you will remember for a long time!!