Please sign in to post.

Bastille Day in Paris

Hello, My husband and I are in the process of booking hotels for a July trip and we just realized that according to our plans, we are leaving Paris on July 14th, which we just realized is Bastille Day. My question is: would it be worth it to stay that extra day to experience Bastille Day in Paris (cutting a day off our stay in Rome), or would it be enough to check out the parade in the morning and then fly out in the afternoon? Thanks :)
Jen

Posted by
9110 posts

After the parade, it's done except for the fireworks. Go ahead and scram. But, it'll be a good hour or more before the crowds thin down for the metro and such.

Posted by
358 posts

The first time I was in Paris in 1999 I attended the Bastille Day Parade which was nothing special unless you like military parades. I seen the last day of the tour de France which was much more exciting although the last day is mainly for show. I would not cut off a day in Rome for Bastille Day.

Posted by
8947 posts

We went to Paris a few years ago and got to experience Bastille Day. Not the parade, but the show that night from the Eiffel Tower. We thought it was great, one of the best shows ever. Fireworks, laser lights, music and all the people sitting in the park, having picnics, and just having a great time. Even afterwards with the crowds on the Metro, people were laughing and having a blast. We were very glad that we had seen this and would go again if we had the chance.
Since we didn't see the parade, I don't know if it is worth staying just for that.

Posted by
1525 posts

We saw both the parade and the fireworks in 2009. I thought the parade was maybe the most boring, diesel-fume-filled thing I have ever seen in my life. But then again, I'm used to American style parades and this was nothing but a display of French military...uh...might...moving more slowly than you can possibly imagine. But we had a great time at the fireworks. That's a memorable experience. I'm not sure I would cut out a day in Rome to do it, however. FYI; the Metro was closed near the fireworks and may have been near the parade route, too (we didn't try there) in order to minimize mobs underground. Plan carefully how you get to CDG on that day. It might be wise to make a hotel shuttle bus or taxi a readily available "plan B". Enjoy it all!

Posted by
9423 posts

"I thought the parade was maybe the most boring, diesel-fume-filled thing I have ever seen in my life." I totally agree!! The diesel fumes were awful. It was a total waste of time imo. I agree too that the fireworks were great. Other than the Champs Elysee for the parade, the rest of Paris was no different than any other day.