Please sign in to post.

bastille day in Paris

We will be in Paris for Bastille day this year, 3 girlfriends in our 50's. We arrive in Paris on 7/13, leave on 7/22. One of us has been to Paris many times, one has never been there. We are staying near the Eiffle Tower. Looking for suggestions, things to see and do regarding Bastille day celebration. Are restaurants, shops, museums open that day? Is there something we should definately plan to do or avoid that day? Any suggestions for how to spend the day would be appreciated.

Posted by
85 posts

We were in Paris on Bastille day last year ( it rained) Most restaurants were open and the city was a buzz. I would just wander around the city and enjoy the celebrations. We are also in our 50s and don't usually go to big events but it was fantastic. We didn't go to the parade in the morning but if you stand on any bridge you can enjoy the fly over. Staying near the Eiffle Tour you are also in a great position to watch the fireworks.

Posted by
9110 posts

'In my experience........there may be a huge concert on the Champs de Mars'. Probably not since it will be at Place de la Bastille, as it has been before. Also out at La Defense and once even at the Champ de Mars. And it is Champ de Mars, not Champs de Mars (with the 's'). The parade will go down the Champs Elysees, however, 's' and all. You'd think somebody that lists his location in French and has experiece would get it right. Nice try, Steve. Now, for the facts: the Louvre, etc are all open. Restaurants will be open since that's commerce. The Champs will be packed for the parade, after that everything thins out fast. Fireworks come from up on the Trocadero hill somewhere, probably from the park on the east side of the esplanade, but I've never gotten that close. The view from the bridges is best; either Alma or the pedestrain one next to the west that I don't know the name of. Therefelctions off of the water are pretty good. If you don't want the parade and like the fly-over, the bridges are also good for that.

Posted by
9110 posts

Whoaa!!! Immediate edit and shortening of the French part since the goggle translate deal didn't get it quite right. Also a dig for more google knowledge to justify expertise. Not that I even brought up 'bastille day' or bastille except to say that's where this year's concert is. Cats don't change their spots.

Posted by
2193 posts

My favorite part of being in Paris on Bastille Day was the enormous crowds, the festive atmosphere, and the fireworks down at the Eiffel Tower/ Parc du Champ de Mars. Everyone was happy (many were sloshed). We watched part of the parade on TV in the morning. It was a cool event, but let's be honest, watching the French military isn't all that impressive. It was also a great day for a picnic and a visit to Notre Dame.

Posted by
1525 posts

We were there in 2009. It was a great day. We didn't plan any indoor sights that day - just wanted to drink in the general atmosphere and "chill". In our opinion, the parade was a major bust. It's all military and public service folks and every large diesel engine in France moving so slowly you could crawl faster - to say nothing of the 6-8 people deep crowds on every inch of the curb. It may qualify as interesting, but there is nothing at all "fun" about the parade. The fireworks at the tower were wonderful though. There was a rock concert on the grass starting at around 3-4PM making every inch of grass taken long before you would ever want to arrive for the fireworks, but we brought a picnic dinner and found a spot on the nearby gravel "field" with a good view of everything. By 9PM that area was full, too. Be warned, you should not expect to return to your lodging via the Metro after the fireworks. You may have to walk. We walked 3 miles along the river toward Notre Dame at midnight. The weather was fine, and honestly, it was one of the highlights of our stay in Paris.

Posted by
10245 posts

The local, traditional celebrations begins the evening before after sundown with street dances. These are sponsored by firehouses, usually in the street on the block in front of the local firehouse. There is all kinds of dancing: old fashioned accordion dancing like you'd see in a Monet painting to modern rock. Everyone dances together. Maybe there will be a few interesting men in their fifties out dancing, too. Try to get a nap in the afternoon to be ready.

Posted by
3 posts

I was in Paris for Bastille Day in 2008, and I've planned my return trip this year so I could be there again for the celebrations. I was there with my mom and sister. We woke up very early on the 14th to ride the metro (note it closes before the parade starts so plan your route accordingly), but were not early enough to get a good spot for the parade. Even though we did not have a very good spot to view the parade I thought it was great. I especially loved the bands. Afterwards we walked all over Paris viewing the military and their different uniforms as they waited to board buses. That evening we headed to Champ de Mars for the concert (James Blunt) and fireworks. You do need to get there early, but it is worth it! I have never seen a more spectacular showing of fireworks. I think the whole day is a must see and very impressive. Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone for the information. We would love to catch a street dance if we are not too tired. We arrive in Paris on the afternoon of the 13th. Does anyone know where the closest fireman's street dance will be near the Eiffle Tower? We are staying on Ave De la Bourdonnais.