Please sign in to post.

Bastille Day

My family may visiting Paris on Bastille Day in July. Could this cause any transportation difficulties or anything else that we should be aware of? We have not yet pinned down the exact days we will be there but wanted some advice as to whether or not we should try to travel out of Paris on that day or just settle in and enjoy the festivities. Would the airports be a lot more crowded? I welcome your suggestions.

Posted by
9110 posts

Been there a couple of times on Bastille Day. Nothing was especially crowded except the parade route, and that dissipated pretty fast after the parade was over. Not sure about airports, but I suspect not a problem since it's a national rather than international event.

Posted by
1525 posts

We were there this past July and loved it. Think of it as you would July 4th in Chicago or NYC. In other words, lots of sights and businesses will be closed. Public transport will be in full swing. There will be a few big events that will be crowded, but fun. And anywhere away from those big events will be pretty quiet. One difference; no rougue fireworks in Paris, only the real thing behind the Eiffel Tower at 10PM - wonderful.

It's a great day to be outside strolling and chilling out while you wait for the fireworks at night.

One caution; don't expect to ride the Metro back from the tower after the fireworks. They close off the stations to avoid the mad rush/crush of people trapped underground. The solution; Walk. We walked three miles back to the Notre Dame area, along the Seine and it was beautiful and festive - our best memory of Paris.