Please sign in to post.

barcelona vs madrid

we have 8 days to spend in barcelona and madrid. should we do 4 days in each city or 5 in barcelona and 3 in madrid?

Posted by
16338 posts

Ed, can you explain your answer? On my last trip to Spain, Madrid left me cold. Now we are planning a return, and we are totally fascinated with Barcelona; it seems there is so much to do and see there. So why the dismissal?

Posted by
629 posts

I agree with Ed and would spent more of the days in Madrid. We like Barcelona but find there is more of interest to US in and around Madrid.

Posted by
691 posts

I also would like to know what is so great with Madrid, i want to visit Madrid in the near future, but when i read guidebooks i don't see what i would like to do there for 5 days, we like museums and churches but not everyday. Can you give me ideas of fun or cool things to do in Madrid. Rachel I really liked Barcelona, we were there for 4 full days,plus one day visiting Montserrat and would go back again!

Posted by
263 posts

I just came back - spend 2.5 days in each city. We were in Europe for 37 days and Barcelona is the one city that both my wife and I agree that we don't care to go back to. OTOH, we loved Madrid. Maybe it's because of the sights (Madrid has an incredible royal palace and outstanding museums), but Barcelona just left us feeling sort of "flat." It felt like visiting a major U.S. city to us, rather than a European one (Rick describes it to be geographically comparable to L.A.). I'm not saying we didn't enjoy it at all, because we did. Just that if I had to choose between Madrid and Barcelona, I'd pick Madrid. You can cover more of Madrid's top attractions by walking, it seems cleaner, it feels more historic, etc. One caveat - one afternoon became a bust for us in Barcelona - we were going to go up the funicular (free after having ridden the Metro) to see the castle, Olympic stadium, fountains, etc., but the funicular broke just as we were boarding. With no easy alternative that we could figure out, aside from taking an expensive cab, our plans for that late afternoon were foiled.

Posted by
83 posts

I would favor more time in Barc. It was our favorite of the seven cities we visited in Spain.

Posted by
3250 posts

I'd spend more time in Madrid - 3 in Barcelona and 5 in Madrid. Another option would be to spend 2 nights in a smaller city - either Toledo or Salamanca would be good options but there are others. Something like Barcelona - 2 nights; Madrid - 4 nights; Salamanca or Toledo - 2 nights. You can take a bus from Madrid to either Salamanca or Toledo.

Posted by
1178 posts

Barcelona and Madrid have one thing in common ~ they are both in Spain. Other than that they are completely different...Barcelona has been termed "The Paris of Spain" with just reasons...the wide boulevards, the feeling in general. Madrid on the otherhand is more Spanish. The Gran Via, the Royal Place with Cathderal Alumedena adjoining, the Prado, and all the other sites. As one writer mentioned above, Madrid with a side visit to Toledo for at least overnight would be a great idea. Toledo is only 25 minutes away. I could go to either Madrid or Barcelona and enjoy myself completely as I have in the past.

Posted by
4535 posts

It would help the poster to get more reasoning. I'd split them at the least or go 5-3 depending on what most interests the poster. Barcelona is one of the best cities in Europe with a great old town, amazing architecture, beaches, great food, nightlife and fun things to do for younger people. Not as many day trip opportunities though RS mentions a few. But it's also not "Spanish." Madrid is much more staid and lacks some of the scenery that Barcelona has. But it has great food, amazing art museums and might appeal to an older traveler. It also has amazing day trip opportunites - Toledo is not to be missed and could easily be an overnight. Segovia, Escorial and others. It and the day trips will provide a more "Spanish" flavor.

Posted by
16338 posts

I agree it would be more helpful to Rachel if people could describe what it was they like or don't like about each city. But I am afraid I can't be too much more specific about Madrid other than it left me cold. And we love other big cities in Europe (Paris, London, Milan, etc.) But I couldn't find much to love about Madrid, apart from the Prado, which is wonderful. I would happily return just for that, but don't need to spend more than a day or two there. . . . My favorite moment in Madrid was when a waiter took the check from my hand as I was about to pay (it was my turn) and handed it to one of the men seated at the table, with a scolding "Las señoras no pagan!" But he wasn't joking. Maybe that sums up Madrid for me; the people seemed to be lacking in joy and playfulness. They were kind and courteous, but in a cold and distant way. Maybe that is characteristic of this part of Spain?

Posted by
4555 posts

Probably the most vivacious, vibrant, and friendly people I've met in a big city have been in Madrid. Doing a tapas run thru Plaza Santa Ana, brunch in Chueca, dinner in La Latina....the royal palace, the Plaza Mayor, the three main museums...shopping along Fuencarral....watching all the families in Retiro Park (in fact, watching people everyhwere!) Plus the added benefits of day trips to Toledo, Segovia, Avila, and Alcala. IMHO, much more to keep you busy and interested than Barcelona. And Lola, your waiter thought he was defending the honour of the lady at the table....how many places do you find that happening? ;)

Posted by
16338 posts

Yes, he was defending my honor! But he was so solemn about it. This was 11 years ago. Maybe the people of Madrid have lightened up since then? Or maybe I'm just more used to Italy.

Posted by
69 posts

It is so nice to me to see how we all see the same things and see things so differently! I loooved Barcelona! and I liked Madrid. Going to El prado and Reina Sofia in Madrid was amazing. I went with my sister and we ate good everywhere, but it was expensive imo. Puertas del sol is a nice place to go and look around. Other than that I don't have much to say about it. I went to Toledo and really liked it. Beautiful town and being able to see El Entierro del Conde de Orgaz by El Greco was just wonderful. Now Barcelona oh Barcelona! I can talk and talk about it. Walk through the center of the city specially Passieg De Gracia and just submerge yourself in Antonio Gaudi's architecture also go to the Parc Guell is just fantastic, so beautiful and so much to see! Go to La Boqueria (public market) and eat some super tasty Jumbo shrimps just right there in there. Walk through la Rambla and laugh and take pictures with all the people doing little shows, sit at one of the cafes there and drink a Sangria while you people watch! Montjuic, was also great and you can get some great pictures from the top.... I'm starting to sound like a guidebook hehe I just really liked Barcelona and I could have spent weeks there.

Posted by
3250 posts

It is really interesting to hear the different opinions! I have to admit that I wasn't taken with Madrid on my first visit but on a more recent trip, I came to love the city. We stayed near Puerta del Sol which was convenient for walking or taking the subway. Skipped the Prado this time for visits to the Museuo Thyssen-Bornemisza and Reina Sofia. Both fun museums with excellent collections. Madrid is a great walking city and I especially liked the walk from Puerta del Sol thru the Plaza Mayor with a stop at the Market along the way. From there a walk and visit to the Royal Palace is fun. Madrid was less expensive to visit than other large European cities. I agree with Norm, the people are kind and friendly - I'd go back this afternoon if I could!*** Barcelona is a nice city as well, but for me, once you've walked the Ramblas, seen the Gaudi stuff and the harbor, there's not so much to do. So, my vote would be for more time in Madrid!

Posted by
83 posts

Douglas makes sense - a little rational why we favor one city over the other would benefial. If you're a real museum fanatic, then Madrid is the city for you. Madrid is also in proximity to some very cool towns (Toledo, Avila, Segovia) that make for great day trips. Madrid itself is big, clean, safe and walkable. However, we liked Barcelona more. Barc is big and spead out with things to do/see in every corner: Parc Guell to the north, Casa Mila, Bloc of Discord, walk the Ramblas, aimlessly roam the Gothic Quarter, tour the Cathedral, roam La Ribera, visit Montjuic, the Picasso Museum, Parc de la Ciutadella. I can't say enough about Barc and felt like our three nights there weren't nearly enough. Enjoy.