Please sign in to post.

Barcelona - Spain

A friend and I are looking to go to Barcelona in September and were looking to find inexpensive but safe accommodation. Any reccommendations? We've researched numerous websites and books but I was hoping for someone might have an experience they enjoyed (or didn't), And what are the best places to visit while there if you only have a few days? thanks!

Posted by
11294 posts

In the 2000 character limit of this Helpline, we cannot write a guidebook for you. So, start with some guidebooks (I'd look at Rick Steves and at least one other one). If you have more specific questions, ask here. "What are the best places to visit while there?" is not answerable, since everyone will give different answers. But, for instance, "I'm interested in Picasso. Besides the Picasso Museum, is there any other place I shouldn't miss?" or "I want to see other architectural styles in Barcelone besides Modernista, where should I go?" are answerable questions that you may not find information about in guidebooks. For accommodation, you can start with http://www.eurocheapo.com/barcelona/. If you scroll down, you'll see articles on things besides hotels, like a city introduction, attractions, and budget tips.

Posted by
32201 posts

Alex, I'd suggest checking your local Library or Book stores to see if you can find a copy of the RS Spain 2013 Guidebook. There are at least 18 hotels listed in the Old City and at least 7 in the Eixample area of Barcelona. It's difficult to make suggestions on "inexpensive but safe accommodations" as that will vary somewhat depending on individual price and comfort criteria. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
12172 posts

We stayed at Hostal Campi. I thought it was a good option - well located, clean, inexpensive, nice staff. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d608348-Reviews-Hostal_Campi-Barcelona_Catalonia.html A few things to consider, half the rooms use shared showers down the hall (which is fine for me). If you want ensuite, make sure you book it - don't assume all rooms come that way. Our room didn't have AC either. We were there last April and it was no problem but in hot weather, it could be an issue. We requested a quiet room and got a view of a small alley between buildings - again fine for us - if you prefer a street view to quiet, request that.

Posted by
6898 posts

Might you be there on 21-24 September. If you are, you will be in the middle of the annual La Merce festival. This is the biggest festival in Catalunya. Parades and music for 3-days in and around La Rambla. The parades will feature the famous Gigantes (giants). The Sagrada Familia will have speical lighting. Look into Hosteria Grau. It's about 2-blocks from the Plaza Catalunya where the airport bus stop is located. Hosteria Grau is very near La Rambla.

Posted by
16 posts

I've stayed at the Hotel Toledano, Hotel Continental and Hostal Opera in the budget catageory. I've also stayed at the Hotel Suzio in the moderate range. I've also used Air BNB for private and shared apartments. La Merce Festival is great fun if you happen to be able to be in Barcelona while that is going on. Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
5 posts

This may be too late, but I have stayed twice at Aparthotel Acacia,located in the eixample area and am going back to the same place in September. Great staff, clean hotel and good security. You can check it online for prices.