Please sign in to post.

barcelona safety?

We are thinking about traveling to Barcelona and Cadaques for 9 days during the winter holidays, but have been put off by all the press about pickpocketing. We've traveled to various parts of Europe and the Middle East and have never experienced this. Is Barcelona so much worse for crime than other European places? Any thoughts about where else we should go (looking for both urban and nature-y and warm places for a family with 4 kids, ages 13 to 21)? Thanks--Vicky

Posted by
2333 posts

Yes, the pickpocketing is prevalent in Barcelona. But I think if you keep your wits about you and pay attention, Barcelona is no worse than any other major European city with a lot of tourist traffic. Las Ramblas in particular is prime real estate for pick pockets. I wouldn't let it put you off, it's an amazing city.

Posted by
362 posts

Visiting Barcelona I would agree with the posting of buying and wearing a money belt. I had no problems in Barcelona. We read RS grafitti wall for safety alerts as well as the suggestions on the metro and at the market on the Ramblas. Get the Hot Chocolate at the place mentioned in RS book. It was as thick as pudding,there was a line to get a table.
The kids should enjoy anything Dali as he was a character and his art very unique. My teen was very familiar with his works, as they studied the melting clocks in grade school.

Posted by
2 posts

ey, Vicky, My name is Pauline and I've been in Barcelona this summer. Just be carefull with pickpocketing but for me BCN is one of the best cities of the world!!!! And I'm going to come back with a good hotel deal at http://www.hallst.com It's a new site that I've found.
But you might see that city, taste spanish tapas, and go to Sagrada Familia! pan tumaca! Las Ramblas... Go Vicky! Go!

Posted by
4535 posts

Pauline - your advice is welcome here but advertising is not. Vicky - Barcelona is very safe if you take the standard precautions. If you don't wear a moneybelt than all bets are off. It used to be seedier in some parts near the harbor late at night but even that has mostly gone away. Always be aware of who is around you if stopped to watch something on Las Ramblas as it is the most frequent pick-pocket location with lots of distractions.

Posted by
265 posts

BCN is just as safe as any other Euro city. Just don't flash your money everywhere or attract attention to yourself. Wear a money belt if you're uncertain. Remember they only want your cash and they don't want to harm you. The more goodies you have, the more attention you draw to yourself. Like I said that goes for everywhere in Euro.

Posted by
1178 posts

I have been to Barcelona and experienced no trouble at all...A friend did, however as he was apprently not being as watchful as he should. Use common sense, keep your wits and your belongings close and enjoy all that is offered!

Posted by
389 posts

Here's a Barcelona pickpocketing story my coworker told me: She, her husband, and their young son were in Barca to start a cruise. They were in a very crowded subway car when the husband observes a young guy who he suspects is opening her backback, but he is separated from his family by a crowd of people. When they get off the train the husband quickly confirms with his wife that her wallet is indeed missing. The husband, a former U.S. Army infantryman in his early 30's, can still see the pickpocketer and tracks him through the station. He observes the guy happily handing off the wallet to an older gentleman in a suit and overcoat. He follows closely behind the old man as he walks up the station stairs, and can see the wallet in the man's hand. Afraid of getting knifed or something if he just grabs the wallet, he takes the wallet with with one hand while simultaneously slamming the man's head down into the stairs with his other arm. The man's nose starts gushing blood and he does not get up. He immediately runs back to his wife and son and tells them to move quickly to another station exit. They more or less run back to their hotel which is a few blocks away. They change clothes so as to be less recognizable and warily go about their day.

Posted by
265 posts

Don't use a back-pack. Use a satchel over one shoulder. They are so skilled in opening a back-pack that you won't even feel it. My wife had her back-pack picked in front of the Palacio Real in Madrid. She didn't feel a thing. We think it was a group of girls that walked by us. Thing is, a girl brought it back to her. She didn't have any money in it, so I guess they didn't want it. We got lucky!!!

Posted by
74 posts

Thanks so much for your help! In the end we've decided not to go to Barcelona for this particular trip--but one day we will, and we'll be careful! Thanks again--happy traveling!

Posted by
565 posts

I hope it was a logistical issue and not this thread that changed your mind! Barcelona is one of the most beautiful and amazing places in Europe and I find much smaller towns to be a more menace than this great city (greatly over-hyped). Hope it fits into future plans!

Posted by
2 posts

A money belt is just fine as long as you don't dig into it in public. A sure sign of a tourist and you might as well wear a fanny pack! Carry a few small bills in your front pocket and only remove money from a money belt in a private area such as a rest room stall or dressing room. I prefer to carry a smart looking handbag with a lock (such as LV). I look much more like a local and I dare any pickpocket to get into my bag without my knowledge. (I wear the key around my neck and only open the bag in private (see above).
Don't stand around with your mouth hanging open and walk as if you know where you are going. I am often seen as a local and asked directions. That is a sure sign that I blend in rather than stick out.

Posted by
239 posts

I'm taking my 10 yr old daughter by myself in Nov. My husband can't go, but we've been before and we both feel it's a great city and perfectly safe if you take minimal precautions...just like Paris or NY!!

Posted by
32201 posts

vicky, Although you've now decided not to go to Barcelona on this particular trip, it's important to remember that you'll need to take precautions against pickpockets regardless of which city you choose to visit. I've found them to be "active" in most larger cities in Europe, including (but not limited to) Rome, Florence, Paris, Milan and other locations. If you wear a Money Belt and follow the "usual" precautions, you hopefully won't have any problems in Barcelona or anywhere else in Europe. Happy travels!

Posted by
74 posts

Thanks again everyone for your help. We decided against Barcelona mostly because we were looking for some place warmer, but I hope one day to make a Madrid/Barcelona/Costa Brava trip. Happy travels!

Posted by
129 posts

my husband was nearly pick-pocketed when getting on to the Metro by a couple of young kids. We had just arrived in the city and were lost. He made the mistake of wearing his cargo shorts (he was putting his wallet in a secret zip pocket on his shirt every other day on that trip) and putting his wallet in one of those pockets with just a flap. Luckily, he is quick to react, and felt a hand on his pocket just in time. Just be careful in crowded places like getting onto subways, and try not to look lost. LOL. Keep your purse in front of you at all times. For your husband, have him either wear his wallet in a front tshirt pocket (REI and Eddie Bauer sell such shirts) or have him wear the money belt. Also, there are some dresses that have hidden pockets but only carry a credit card size amount of things. For your kids, give them small amounts of money so in case they lose it, it's not the end of the world. Although 4x20 Euros is a lot of money, huh? If you are going to the beach, say no to any of the people offering drinks or massages. They basically use that to look into your purses to see what to steal while you are in the water. Always have someone on land watching your stuff while in the water. Use hotel safes for trips to the beach and just carry enough money you need for food, water, emergency. Not to scare you. I don't think it's anything to worry about to not travel there. Barcelona is a beautiful city and well worth a little fending off the pickpocketers!

Posted by
3049 posts

Just a note, I was in Barcelona recently and needed to bring things with me for the day that I didn't want to leave on the beach while I swam. Luckily there are locker/shower facilities at the beach that are reasonably priced, they even rent towels and such. When I was there, there were other women who were also alone, and we took turns watching each other's stuff while we swam. All my valuables were in the locker, of course, but I still wanted to retain my bag. I bought beer from a beer guy and saw other people getting massages and none of them were getting ripped off. Just use common sense.