Please sign in to post.

Barcelona or Madrid Feb. 2011

So we narrowed our vacation spot down and have landed in spain. I will be there feb. 18 until the 25th. I know spanish know alot about spain but I am having trouble because I dont know where to go either Madrid or Barcelona? its winter and I live in Bosotn which winter is very cold would barcelona be a better option then Madrid since its might me milder. We are basically going for a week so which city will i not run out to do things in. I heard barcelona takes more then a week to do because there are so many things to do but would a week keep us occupied. What are some tips when going to these cities. I heard barcelona is full of pick pockets should that stop us. Who ever has gone in Feb. or in the winter can you please give me all you know thanks so much.

Posted by
28 posts

We were just in Barcelona the week of Thanksgiving for 4 days. It was wonderful and the weather was fantastic, it was our second time there this year. (we live in Germany and take many short long weekend trips). We went to Madrid in January this year. It was chilly but wonderful too! We love both, it depends on what interest you. All the Guadi sights in Barcelona are fantastic & Montserrat a short ride away on the train. The food and all the different quarters of barcelona are wonderful. Both, again are wonderful. Madrid has fantastic museums and history, both have great shopping districts....the only negative, is Barcelona does have the pickpockets, while we never had an issue the first time, we had a young girl try to still our iPhone, I saved it before she could get away and we know of a couple of other people that had their backpack and purse stolen, mostly I assume was because they were not paying attention.
You want to spend time in some great museums then I cant say enough about Madrid, the Prado is fantastic. either location is going to be chilly, but not unbearable. This probably wasnt much help,. but in the end I would pick Madrid during Feb. Wherever you choose you will enjoy....Hope this was a little help. happy travels! Christina

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks so much but do you think if I am not into museums that madrid will still be good. When you went to barcelona what sector did you stay in and which hotel if I have any other questions can I send you a direct message thanks again!!

Posted by
74 posts

Whichever you choose, there will be some unique things going on. If you go to Barcelona, the Formula One teams are testing that week. You can get to the track by subway/train and the entrance is 15E, compared to 500E for an actual race. If you're in Madrid, Real Madrid is playing a home game that weekend and tickets start at about 125E. Not sure if Barcelona is playing at home that weekend.

Posted by
296 posts

Barcelona is full of young people. A very modern, clean city though. Do visit the many wineries outside the city though. And don't get caught in a tourist trap restaurant. Frequent the many side street small neighborhood eateries instead.

Posted by
951 posts

I was in Barcelona 6 years ago in feb. Spain was smacked with record breaking low temps at that time. When I flew in the AM, it was 30 degrees, slowly warming up to maybe 50 degrees. I was there for 3 days and the temps stayed about the same. The day after I left, Barcelona experienced a snow storm, which had not happened in decades. Madrid was colder. I personally liked Barcelona better and had wished I had stayed longer. Great art museums in both places. Dali museum not too far away, in Figueres was a highlight for me. I was solo in Barcelona and had no problems with safety. Pickpockets are everywhere, not just in Barcelona.
I was in Spain for 17 days. I wished I had brought a winter coat, as I brought a spring jacket thinking it would be warm. It was my first European trip, I really did not know better. I froze, sometimes sleeping in my jeans and coat becuase the hostels I stayed in were not heat effiecient for my Florida cold blood. But I had some of the most sunniest blue sky trips I have ever had in Europe. I do not think I used my umbrella once.

Posted by
1878 posts

I think you said that you are not into museums .. in my opinion one of the best things to do in both cities is going to museums! There is way, way more to do in/from Madrid with great day trips to Segovia, El Escorial, Toledo. In town there are the Royal Palace, Parque de Buen Retiro, Plaza Santa Ana, Plaza Mayor. I was in Barcelona in 2005 and again on business this year, and it too is a very nice city. But, many of my favorite things there are museums. The City Museum is a gem. A lot of times people have this picture of Barcelona as if the Modernisme is on every corner -- in reality you have to go hunting for it. For me Sagrada Familia was overrrated, Casa Bottlo was great though overpriced by a factor of two. Casa Mila is very worthwhile. Parc Guell is the best on a weekend when the locals are out and about. The Ramblas is quite a scene, but not as big a big a deal as people make of it.