Please sign in to post.

Barcelona Hotel

Does anyone have any experience with HOTEL GINEBRA
with a view of the Plaza de Catalunya? My RS search didn't yield any results and the reviews are somewhat limited on tripadvisor. Or, are there any other suggestions? I will be traveling with my girlfriend in early April, and would prefer a "more authentic" place to stay in lieu of some of the newer and more modern facilities. We won't have a car and may stay out late on occasion, so centrally located in a good neighborhood is preferred. For price, we are looking to spend no more than $125 a night, but would prefer to keep it closer to $100 if possible. Thank you.

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi Antuany, I haven't stayed in the Hotel Ginebra, but I am very familiar with staying in that area. I have stayed several times at the Hostal Goya, just around the corner from the Cortes Ingles Dept. store on Plaza Catalunya. I love this area to stay in: the airport bus and metro are right there and the Plaza is also a bus route hub. It's walkable to so much: Las Ramblas is just down the street, as is the Barri Gotic. Two Gaudi buildings are just up the street on Passeig Gracia. The Tourist Info office, on the other side of the Plaza, offers cheap walking tours that you can book on the spot.

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi again Antuany, Hotel search engines that I have used in the past to find reasonably-priced accommodations, and trust, include: booking.com
venere.com hostelworld.com You are probably aware already of these. Their search features & reviews are helpful, but again be conscious of shills there too. (Edited, as Antuany has read the post in it's entirety).

Posted by
120 posts

Thanks Diane (and Davn if you're legit). I'm actually in the process of reserving a HostAL (not to be confused with HostEL) a couple blocks off Placa de Catalunya. Still a great location, but a little outside of the heavily traffic area. I did look at a number of online search engine sites, but as the reviews were all varied, I was looking for the insight of fellow RS members.

Posted by
15 posts

Continental Palacete. Includes 24 hour snack buffett including wine, beer , water , soda. Perfect location, quiet and comfortable.

Posted by
5 posts

Hope you got a great place. My wife and I are discovering you need to book 2 months in advance to maybe get get what you want. We're finding everything recommended and/or reasonably close to most sites to be booked in our date range (May 26-29, 2011). ARRRRRRRRRGH! Pete

Posted by
5 posts

I'm actually in the process of reserving a HostAL (not to be confused with HostEL) a couple blocks off Placa de Catalunya. Still a great location, but a little outside of the heavily traffic area. So, where did you book, and how was it? Pete

Posted by
120 posts

I ended up staying about a block off La Ramblas and Placa de Catalunya at a hostal (not hostel) called Hostal Campi. It was reasonably priced, and in a great location and served our purposes since we spent most of our time exploring the city and didn't spend much time in the room. We knew the accommodations would be very basic, and they were. It was also up 3 flights of stairs, which we knew beforehand, but was still a trek after walking 5+ miles per day. I reserved in advance, and afterwards decided to stay a night in a town North of the city called Girona (definitely recommend visiting it). Though it was still a few weeks before arrival, I was informed that if I changed my reservation to not include my night in Girona, my room would not be guaranteed, so I ended up paying for it without using it. Like I mentioned, the room served our needs, but in the future, for a 7+ day trip, I think I would opt for something a step up. If you do make it to Girona, I'd definitely recommend the Hotel Historic. It's less than 1% of the photos I took, and not hotel related yet, but a preview set can be viewed here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/antuanysmith

Posted by
418 posts

Just got back from Barcelona on Saturday. Would highly recommend Grand Hotel Central across from the cathedral on Leitana.

Posted by
5 posts

Just checked on the Grand Hotel. 200+ euros a night waaaay out of my price range. Waiting for response from Hostal Campi and Banys Orientals. Thanks, anyway. Pete

Posted by
14 posts

We just got back from Barcelona. We stayed at the Hotel Continental Barcelonaright on the Ramblas. It was great! It has a 24 hour snack/dinner/breakfast barso although the cost is a little higheryou get a discount with Rick Steave's bookthe money saved on eating in makes a difference. They also have microwaves and small refrigerators in each room. The beds are comfortable. Great showers and space in the room. We were a family of 3 with a 17 year old son along. Our room faced a side street off of the Ramblas, but was quiet with windows closed. The staff is wonderful. Check it out. They have a good website online.

Posted by
5 posts

Unfortunately, all the recommended places (in our budget - less than $150USD/night): Hotel Continental Barcelona Hotel Continental Palacete Hostal Campi Hostal Goya Bayns Orientals
Wilson Boutique Hotel have sold out during our date range (May 26-29) as have most of the other places suggested in Rick Steves-Spain 2011 and Lonely Planet. Appears one needs to make reservations 2 months in advance if you're visiting Apr-June. Hostal Campi does have 1 room w/o a bathroom left (shared facilities on the floor), but Barcelona is the end of our trip, so w/o a bathroom doesn't cut it. Passed on Hotel Jarvi after reading a ton of reviews. Appears location is all it really has going for it. Starting to explore B&B's a bit farther out. Means taking the Metro, but figure that's part of the experience. Still, if anyone has other recommendations, keep 'em coming. <g> Pete

Posted by
120 posts

Sorry to hear that places are booked for you time. Was Ginebra full also? I think it was a similar price as Campi when I looked a couple months ago. The good thing is that the metro in Barcelona is so easy to use (after a little time getting used to it), so farther out doesn't really mean much loss of time. On the other hand, having just returned from Hostal Campi, though we had an en-suite shower/toilet, there are only a few rooms per floor. While I didn't look in the shared bath, in 6 nights, I never saw anyone else in the common areas (other than the check-in). It might not be too bad. If you still want to be in the "heart" of the city, you can always make the reservation & cancel it if nothing better comes along.

Posted by
811 posts

Pete, I'm going out on a limb with this suggestion, but we stayed at the Evenia Rossello and loved the hotel. I just checked their rates for your dates and holy cow, they've gone up from what we paid. However, they have a sister hotel in the city called the Evenia Rocafort and their rate for your dates is €76/night if you opt for their "special advance purchase rate" (I do not believe this rate includes breakfast). http://www.eveniahotels.com/hotelrocafort I also double-checked with TripAdvisor.com to make sure I'm not suggesting a fleabag place (which I would find hard to believe, given how nice the Rossello was), and the reviews seem to be pretty decent. It might be worthwhile to check it out, and good luck!

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks, Angela. Will check it out. 76 euros we can afford. It must be "the season" as we're finding booking lodging to be difficult in the other Spanish cities on our itinerary. My brother was there in Feb 2010. He'd find a place on the internet the night before and just book it. Pete

Posted by
931 posts

Pete, we had no trouble booking about 4 to 8 weeks ago,(for May 28-June14 ), and then my cousin wanted to come. She booked two weeks ago, and made every lodging except one. And our price range was the same as yours. Looks like every one has the same idea as you!

Posted by
2126 posts

Check out L'Antic Espai. It's a little hotel very near the Ramblas. The owners are wonderful and very helpful. They're very responsive to inquiries, and if they're full, you might ask if they have any other hotels to recommend.