Please sign in to post.

banks

I'm planning on opening a separate account with debit card linked to it for my trip to Paris/the Netherlands this summer. Any suggestions on which bank to go with with regard to fees and availability of atm's?

Posted by
1840 posts

Have you thought about having your new checking account in a credit union?

Posted by
1116 posts

I agree with Monte's suggestion. Credit unions are the way to go. Mine does not charge foreign transaction fees which saves a lot of money!

Posted by
10259 posts

I do all my banking with a credit union. I have two accounts. One is my primary account and the other is my 'vacation' account. I use the debit card from my vacation account while traveling. I don't keep too much in that account at one time so that if my account is compromised I won't lose much. It is easy for me to transfer money between accounts as needed.

Posted by
9363 posts

Another vote for credit unions. Mine charges absolutely nothing for foreign withdrawals, not even a currency conversion fee. As long as your card is Visa or Mastercard branded, you can use any ATM. Bank-owned ATMs won't charge you for their use. Shop around your area for the best deal on fees and go from there.

Posted by
91 posts

While it is true that most credit unions do not charge for foreign transactions. It is not universal. There are also some banks that do not charge. My bank does not charge me a fee. You need to inquiry at the bank or credit union. Also, tell them when and where you are going. If you don't inform them, you could end up having the card blocked while on vacation.....not a good deal.