Please sign in to post.

avoid Munich in 2010 b/c of Passion Play in Oberammergau?

I am planning family trip to Europe Aug 2010. On our final leg of the trip (London/Rome/Florence--Munich or Zurich), should I avoid Munich and pick Zurich as final stop (for a few days of Swiss mountain touring vs. castle touring from Munich) b/c of 2010 Passion Play in Oberammergau? I am booking FF miles and will be locked into my cities 11 months out, but can only book trains (Rome-Munich night train) a few months out and local hotels about 6-8 months out. I am concerned that trains/hotels might be booked up (or really $$$) b/c of high demand by tour groups being based out of Munich area. I would need 2 triple rooms--which are not so easy to find. No one in party has been to either area. Advise? thanks, Elaine

Posted by
12040 posts

I would point out that, unlike Oktoberfest, the Passion Play has a limited, fixed capacity. Compare some raw numbers. The last Passion Play in 2000 attracted about 500,000 visitors spread out over a period of almost 5 months. In contrast, the Munich Oktoberfest, which only lasts 16 days, attracts anywhere from 5-6 MILLION visitors each year. Let's assume that an equal number of people visit each event per day throughout their durations. That would give 3500 extra visitors per day to the region for the Passion Play, but 375,000 extra visitors for Oktoberfest! If Munich and the surrounding area have enough hotel capacity to deal with Oktoberfest crowds, I doubt the Passion Play will cause that much trouble.

Posted by
524 posts

I fully agree with Tom. I didn't have the stats - but I have been to Munich for Oktoberfest and if that city can handle that amount of people - The Passion Play will barely make a ripple.

Even during Oktoberfest, Munich was manageable. The tourist areas were lightly crowded - what I would consider normal crowds. The train stations were fine. We got in and out of Munich with ease.

So go, have fun, enjoy Munich.

Posted by
162 posts

I agree with what has been said. I went with a group to the Passion Play back in 2000 and we spent one day in Munich on the tour. It was not overly crowded and very enjoyable. Also, the Passion Play itself is really worth seeing whether one is very religious or not. The town of Oberammergau is very cordial and the play is very organized and well done.

Posted by
12172 posts

I vote Munich over Zurich and it won't be especially crowded (probably not noticably more than a typical August).