Please sign in to post.

Austria Travel

My wife and I are planning a two week trip to Austria with arrival and departure from Vienna during the middle of September. Our son lives in Vienna and we are going to travel to a town, Otztal which is west of Innsbruck to meet his girl friends parents. I would like to travel in this part of Austria with a journey to Bavaria and then back to Vienna for departure. We are going to hire a car and travel independently of the rail or bus system. Any suggestions as to sights and stays on this first trip to Austria would be appreciated.

Posted by
115 posts

Hi Sam,
I think the Lakes District area of Austria is gorgeous. Hallstatt is a charming little town and Mondsee is lovely too. You could see this area on your drive from Vienna to Bavaria. Salzburg is not to be missed, either. There are many historic and scenic sites that a good guide book could point out, and help you determine where your interests lie. My husband and I are going to Austria in October specifically to see Salzburg and the Lakes District. I have been previously, but he has not. We are actually staying in Berchtesgaden, Germany for 3 nights and daytripping into Salzburg and the Lakes District. Berchtesgaden is a particularly beautiful area in the Alps where you can literally see into Austria from Hitler's Eagle's Nest, which is another stop you might find interesting. Happy Travels!

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi Sam, The Oetztal is gorgeous! Some of the best alpine scenery in Austria. Be sure to drive the Timmelsjoch pass at the end of the valley, which leads into Italy. You could actually drive the pass, stay in the Val Venosta/Vinschgau area (again, gorgeous) or just head north over the Jaufen Pass back into Austria by Innsbruck. Either way, the Oetztal, Timmelsjoch Pass, Jaufen Pass, Innsbruck makes a really nice loop of incredible alpine scenery. In the Salzburg area, I would also highly recommend the Berchtesgaden area as a base. We've stayed in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden on 4 trips so far. Love it! Salzburg is less than 30 min. away, Hallstatt 1:30 away, very easy day trip. Paul