Please sign in to post.

Arriving in Munich at 1535 from Flight from Georgia

Afrter arriving in Munich on BA @1535, how long may it take to get through Customs. And where will we find the Train to Salzburg and what time sould we arrive in Salzburg.

Posted by
23574 posts

Generally speaking you should be able to deplane and clear immigrations within an hour. There will be multi trains to Salzburg. Go to bahn.de for scheduling information.

Posted by
47 posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a train at the airport to get to Salzburg or do you go downtown Munich to catch one.

Posted by
19240 posts

There is no train from the airport directly to Salzburg. There are trains from downtown Munich, either the Hauptbahnhof or the Ost (east) Bahnhof, directly to Salzburg. There are two S-Bahn lines from the station at the airport to downtown Munich. If you take the S-8 from the airport, it will get you to the Ostbahnhof in about 30 min, from which you can catch a train to Salzburg. The S-Bahn comes into Ostbahnhof on track (Gleis) 1. The train to Salzburg is probably on track 8. If you purchase a Bayern-Ticket at the airport, either from an automat on the platform (€21) or from a ticket counter (€23) in the Munich Airport Center on the level above the station, it will cover you entire trip, the S-Bahn to Ostbahnhof and any regional train from Ost to Salzburg.

Posted by
47 posts

First time going to Europe, thank you for the help.Train ride to salzburg will it take a couple of hours.

Posted by
19240 posts

"what time sould we arrive in Salzburg." Too many variables to tell. Does your flight arrive on time? Is there a long line at immigaration? Do you find everything quickly? Since you are arriving on a BA flight, I suspect you will come into Terminal 1. I've only arrived (2x) at Terminal 2. In both cases Immigration (Passport check) and Customs went smoothly, and I was at the S-Bahn station in under an hour. Assuming it goes as quickly for you, there is an S1 leaving the airport at 16:51, arriving Ost at 17:46. You'll have 14 min at Ost to get to track 8 and catch the Regional Express (RE 79035) at 18:00. That train arrives at Salzburg Hbf at 19:42. If all goes well, you'll be in Salzburg about 4 hours after landing.

Posted by
19240 posts

I just checked the arrival board for MUC. BA 952 arrived today at 15:55 (20 min late). It came into Terminal 1. At Immigration you will have to stand in line and have your passport checked and stamped. Then you will go the luggage carousel (if you have checked bags), then to Customs. Customs is almost always a formality; there is a line for "nothing to declar", and you can walk out of the room without stopping. Follow the corridors (escalators) to the Munich Airport Center (MAC). You'll come into it on the level above the S-Bahn station. Look for the Bahn counter (red square with the letters 'DB'). Buy a Bayern-Ticket (€23 for one person, €31 for 2 - 5). There's an elevator nearby that will take you down one level to the S-Bahn station. There are two tracks on either side of a platform. The S1 leaves from one side (No.) on track 1; S8 leaves from the other side on track 2. They alternate leaving, about every 10 minutes. The S8 goes to Munich Ost in about 30 minutes. Here is a site with pictures and maps of München Ost. http://www.stationsdatenbank.bayern-takt.de/StationsdatenbankBEG/Steckbrief.html?lang=de&efz=8000262 You'll have to cut n paste. BBC doesn't allow links with '?' imbedded.

Posted by
47 posts

Thanks again for great information. We're arriving on a Monday October 8 .Thanks also about which track and where to get tickets and prices. I also purchased to day RS Germany and Austria book and maps.Thanks again