Please sign in to post.

Apartments in Paris

Hello, my friend and I are traveling to Paris at the end of the spring and have decided we would like to stay in an apartment. We have never been to Paris and are wondering if anybody has any recommendations for which arrondissement/area we should stay in. We are college students, hoping to be somewhat centrally located to museums and other tourist activities. At the same time we would like to explore the Parisian lifestyle and plan to spend a majority of our meals at local markets. Thank you for any recommendations!

Posted by
21 posts

I definitely recommend www.homeaway.com - my husband and I found a large selection of lovely Paris flats for such a reasonable price! Much less $$ than the less than appealing budget hotels. We're staying in Le marais area, its within walking distance to the Louvre & Notre Dame, and a quick metro ride everywhere else. Its the oldest area in Paris and has many shops, cafes, etc. Have fun looking at the flats online - you'll want to stay in all of them!

Posted by
1068 posts

My husband and I wanted to stay in an apartment last time we were here, and didn't manage to pull it off. So here are some suggestions based on a LOT of research and legwork that didn't get us anywhere.

*) Start looking early. (You are off to a good start, it seems. Late spring should give you enough time.)

*) Be SURE that you know the terms of the deal. Ask questions - twice or more if you need to. When my cousin, mother and aunt got an apartment near the Rue de Rivoli last April, they ran into several agencies that charged significant up-front fees that weren't listed prominantly in the ad copy on their websites.

*) Beware of "bait and switch." Looking on-line, I worked with several agencies who seemed to be running "teaser" ads for apartments that did not exist.

*) Be sure you have a back-up plan. Know of a hotel or hostel near-by where you can stay if things fall through once you get there.

*) Finally, double and triple check the key pick-up time and place!!!! My cousin spent several HOURS on pay phones and cooling his heels before he and the concierge at their apartment building had completely different expectations for where the key pick-up point would be.

Good luck!

Posted by
875 posts

A couple of good apt websites: vacationinparis.com and holiday-rentals.co.uk
For your age group and interests, I would recommend staying in the Latin Quarter. Lots of night life; close to Notre Dame plaza where you will find lots of free street entertainment; close to lots of cafes; easy to get to the museums; etc.

Posted by
355 posts

We stayed in an apartment in the Marais district 2 years ago and loved the area. We rented from Rentparis.com. They are a smaller company with reasonable prices. We were very pleased with their services and the apartment. I would definitely recommend them.