Please sign in to post.

Apartment in Paris

I found a great apartment in the 1st arrondissement....very reasonably priced,renovated a queen size bed and queen pull out sofa. The reviews are good but there are only 5....and i realize everyone doesn't write a review. But he wants 500E cash on the day of arrival to be returned on day of departure. I have mixed feelings about this...is this common for Paris? I didn't give any security deposits when we travelled through Italy in 2010. Thanks

Posted by
5800 posts

The deposit is not unusual, but there are companies and owners who don't require one. In particular, vacationinparis.com does not require a large deposit. Instead they charge an insurance fee (it was about $29 last year) and a key deposit ($150). I've rented from them twice, and both times they refunded my key deposit via paypal within a couple of days of me returning the key by mail.

Posted by
291 posts

We always go through Parisperfect.com. You might want to check out their policies, since they are very reputable, and see if your agency is about the same.

Posted by
9436 posts

You can also try parisbestlodge.com and vacationinparis.com. But it is common practice (not with the above though) with many. We rented two apts in Paris and both required a large deposit in cash the day of and was returned the day we left with no problem.

Posted by
7129 posts

From my research that seems to be fairly common for both agencies and individual owners. The deposit for my small studio in Paris is 250euros so the 500 seems about right for a larger apt. I rented directly from owner through VRBO (no agencies fees). Almost every review I read was positive, meaning the deposit was returned without question on last day of rental, so I'm not too worried about it.

Posted by
4684 posts

Sounds reasonable as you're dealing with a private individual. If he was asking for that much to be wired to him before you arrived, that would be a blatant spam. If you're really paranoid, go through the apartment with him when you meet and take photos of any pre-existing damage/stains.

Posted by
10558 posts

I rented an apartment in Paris last October. The owner wanted a certified check for 400€ as a deposit, to be paid upon arrival. As I was leaving Europe after Paris I didn't want to deal with that. I asked if he could just take my credit card number (he did not accept payment for the apartment by cc) as a deposit. He said that was fine. You might ask if they will do the same. You have more protection using a credit card too.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! After looking at hotels, for 3 adults in one room , it will be way too close.

Posted by
11507 posts

Parisbestldoge,, which is very well reviewed, only required me to send a 300 dollar cheque .. post dated,, in my own currency for a one week rental . You then pay in euros for the apartment when you arrive in cash ,, and the cheque is ripped up,, no damage deposit.