Please sign in to post.

Apartment in Paris

Hello. Wondering if anyone has had experience with renting an apartment in Paris. I seem to be finding some good deals on homeaway.com. Also, can you make recommendations on what district to stay in? We want to be within walking distance of the sites or within a few subway stops. Thanks.

Posted by
2023 posts

We rented from vacationinparis.com just this past May. We were very pleased with the apt. This company is based in N.J. and you pay in US dollars. I think we paid through a paypall account which was set up just for this--don't normally use it. You can view the apts by number on their website. The apt we got was our third choice but we liked it. Booked 3 months ahead but 4-6 months would allow you more choices. We had several phone conversations with vip about the apt and how to get the key. No problem getting our deposit back and we definitely will work with them again. It was so nice to have some space and a small but efficient kitchen. Quiet was very important to us so we made sure the apt overlooked an inner courtyard rather than a street. Some apts have balconies but we ruled those out because of noise issues. An elevator is another good feature to look for. We were one block in either direction from a supermarket and easy access to Metro. It seems that St Germaine, 6arr is a great area but the most expensive. We also like the 7 arr but were not able to get the apt there. We were on the edge of Marais and liked it fine. The Latin Qtr in the arr is a decent area also. Good luck!

Posted by
267 posts

We rented with Paris Attitude, based in Paris. Also had no problems. On their website, you can search for apts by budget, arrondissement, or size. Very helpful staff - even gave us personal recommendations and a discount for future rentals. They answered e-mails promptly. Our owner was extremely gracious.

As for where to stay...it would be more telling to ask where NOT to stay! No point in Paris is more than 500m from a metro stop. Of course, having a flat literally 1 minute away from the metro station (as I did) is a tremendous help! I stayed on the border of the 7e and 15e - very close to Bir Hakeim and the Eiffel Tower. Saint-Germain, the Quartier Latin, Montparnasse...all good choices. As long as a metro stop is nearby, you should be fine.
Speaking of tips, please ask the owner to demonstrate how to use the washer and dishwasher.

NB: French floors are numbered differently from American ones. A French building begins with the "rez du chaussée." It is labeled as RdC or 0. We usually think of this floor as the first floor. The second story is "première étage" = our second floor. Just think American floor + 1. Expect spiral staircases. Very quickly "ascenseur (elevator)" will be the most beautiful French word in your vocabulary!

I've found a map of Paris with tourist destinations and arrondissements. That should give you a good idea of where everything is located. Notre-Dame is considered the center. This RATP map is ridiculously thorough: it includes an overlay of the metro lines. You may request a paper version of it at any metro station. I would also ask for a Paris Poche (pocket-sized map of metro, bus, and RER lines).

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Sarah,

last time i went to Paris i stayed in this Paris apartement It's managed privately by his owner: David. the apartment is really cosy, very clean and the location is excellent: 14th arronsisement in the chic left bank but a bit awary from the mad tourist crowd, still very easy to walk to some of the main sights and the area is superb, packed with street markets, resto and brasseries. I highly recommend

Posted by
711 posts

Hi Sarah,, We also love Vacation in Paris- lovely apartments in the 7th arr.

Posted by
239 posts

Hi Sarah--We also rented an apartment in the 7th from vacationinparis and were really happy with their agency. I wonder if it was the same apartment Jane stayed in! :)