Please sign in to post.

Antwerp

I'm thinking of spending a long weekend in Antwerp...

Does anyone have suggestions for inexpensive B&B's or hotels that would be comfortable for a lone traveler.

Also, any tips on what to - I've been there once so seen some museums, but am interested in art, history, culture and possibly a day trip or two from Antwerp to other cities/sites if possible by public transport.

Thanks!
Kate

Posted by
12040 posts

I've only stayed overnight in Antwerpen once (although I have visited more often), so I can only list the place where I stayed- Hotel Scheldezicht (www.hotelscheldezicht.be). I found it rather cozy and inexpensive, but one caviat to offer... those who have visited Antwerpen may have noticed that the city... well, to be honest, sometimes smells faintly of urine. The stairway in this hotel simply reeked of the odor. Although my surprisingly large room was blessedly aroma -free, that may not hold true for the entire hotel.

Posted by
359 posts

Hotel Florida, directly opposite the train station in Antwerp is OK for a wkend. Nothing fancy, some mediocre reports on Trip Advisor, but worked for me several times. The zoo's behind the train station (if you're into that), the old town is a 20 minute walk with lots of sights/cafes enroute to quench your art/history/thirst needs. Consider sleeping in Brugge and visiting Antwerp on the way in or out by utilizing the lockers/checked luggage at Antwerp Centraal.