Please sign in to post.

Annecy, France

Hi-Hope you all give me your valued opinion. Spending 2 weeks in France, and after one week in Paris, wanted to go where I have not been. My friend, who lives in Paris, LOVES Annecy. Well, what do you all think of a few days in Annecy? Thanks,

Posted by
501 posts

Wonderful idea and city. We've only been there in summer, when do you plan to go? Other thoughts to tempt you,Annecy is a good home base for a visit to Geneva or even a night/day in Chamonix. We didn't price lodging in Annecy, but has to be less then Geneva. I don't believe Rick covers Annecy in much detail.

Posted by
288 posts

We will be there end of September. So week in Paris 16-25, and then free through Oct. 1. Thank you for suggesting Geneva.

Posted by
1223 posts

Hi Linda. Very easy to get to Annecy from Paris by train. Very scenic and pleasant tourist town; hotels are varied and reasonable. Two days there would be great, especially if one of them is renting bikes and riding along the lake trail. :) Also easy to rent car from there for rest of trip and drop wherever in France your trip ends. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
1878 posts

We were there in spring 2010 for three nights and Annecy is highly recommended. Be aware that parking is very challenging. I would nt recommend arriving at 11pm as we did. It's very easy to get turned around in Annecy, when you are walking toward the lake -- make sure that you are walking toward the lake. I think we walked in circles alf the time. The lots are expensive, and not that easy to find. Ask in advance which parking lot your hotel has a special deal with, and you will get a much better deal (maybe $10 per night). We did a day trip tp Chamonix and it was great too. The rack railroad up to the glacier was really amazing. Plus, it's a nice little town.

Posted by
1 posts

I loved Annecy! If you like to shop, check when they will be having street markets there. I bought some beautiful antique linens there.

Posted by
6898 posts

Linda, we'll be in Annecy 9/29 and 9/30. We too are looking forward to our visit there. Then, we're off to Chamonix, Burgundy and then 6 days in Pairs. Have fun out there.

Posted by
288 posts

Thanks Everyone! I have looked at several hotels, and have decided to stay in the old town, on the canal. Also, the boat trip around the lake, the the various villages sounds fun. And, of course, cycling! Still deciding on 2 or 3 nights, thought about going to Champagne area after this. Have fun, Larry

Posted by
288 posts

Thanks Everyone! I have looked at several hotels, and have decided to stay in the old town, on the canal. Also, the boat trip around the lake, the the various villages sounds fun. And, of course, cycling! Still deciding on 2 or 3 nights, thought about going to Champagne area after this. Have fun, Larry

Posted by
288 posts