Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam Museums

I will be in Amsterdam mid-November and plan on buying a Museumkaart, which will let me into the Van Gogh, the Rijks, and the Anne Frank ( and others) free. I was wondering if the lines for Anne Frank will be shorter because of the time of year. I read in RS that it is better to get a reservation, but I was hoping not to be tied to a specific time. I understand that with the Museumkaart I will be able to skip ticket lines for the Van Gogh, and the Rijkes, but do know I will have to go through security. Does anyone have experience with the Museumkaart. It is 50 euros, and now covers the Rijkes, according to their website. Also, should I buy it here, or in Amsterdam.
Thanks!

Posted by
2 posts

The lines for the Anne Frankhuis should be shortest when it first opens in the morning and late in the evening. I live in Holland and have a Museumkaart. You can buy the Museumkaart at any of the museums you mentioned. I'm not sure that you can buy it at the tourist offices, but www.amsterdam.info says you can buy it at Uitburo on Leidseplein. If you're in Amsterdam on a weekday, I would highly suggest going to the RIjksmuseum then instead of the weekend. I recently went on a Monday, and it was still a little busy, but I didn't have to wait to go in or wait long for the bag/coat check. Of course the earlier you go, the better. I haven't been there yet, but I hear the Hermitage is also a really nice museum in Amsterdam. Hope this helps!

Posted by
9099 posts

The long lines at the at the Anne Frank house are an issue year round. But it's open very late, typically around 9pm, so if your are willing to visit at night you don't need reservations. The card doesn't help with the lines at the Rijks Museum. It only allows you to bypass the ticket purchase line, which isn't a big deal. Mid-day you will still have to wait in a line to enter the building, and for the coat check. Yes the line for the coat/bag check back in May was an hour long!!!! The line to get into the building was longer than that and nobody was given priority:( Fortunately there is no longer a security check at the Rijks. You can avoid the lines by going when it opens up for the day. You can easily purchase the card at the tourist information offices at the airport or outside Centraal Station.

Posted by
2081 posts

Nancy, w/regards to the Hermitage. I was there last year and was disappointed. This was due to when part of the Hermitage came to Portland several years ago and brought along ALOT more displays. So, when i went to the one in AMS it wasnt as large as i was assuming it would be. But if you have the time, i would go. Readup on whats being offered. If it floats your boat, go for it. If not there are other things to do/see in AMS. Also, this is just a thought. you dont want to be "locked into a particluar time" why not? If you make an appointment for the first thing in the morning, spend one or 2 or more hours there, then its over, done. you have the rest of the day to "wing it". Happy trails.

Posted by
9099 posts

Could the lack of displays during your visit last year be caused by the Hermitage being the temporary home of the Van Gough museum while it was closed for renovation?? IMO Amsterdam's branch of the Hermitage is one of the best art museums in the city. A must see attraction, and best of all crowds usually aren't an issue like at the VG and Rijks.

Posted by
2297 posts

Anne Frank museum gets a lot of school classes which quickly fill up the tiny space. So yes, there are lines all year round.

Posted by
2081 posts

@michael, the Hermitage was open as well as the Van Gough. Im think it was the size of the traveling exhibit that impressed me the most. Our Art Museum isnt large compared to other cities and it was packed with the Hermitage, so im sure that had something to do with it. also the contents was impressive. happy trails.

Posted by
973 posts

BTW, my understanding is that The Hermitage exhibit changes every six months; there are other outposts of the Hermitage. Some of the shows have been really good, others interesting but not as many artifacts or personal items as I would have liked. Still, I go every time I'm there. The Peter the Great exhibit this summer did a remarkably good job of portraying the man, but the Impressionist exhibit was a little light.... but what are ya gonna do, go to St Pete?

Posted by
2081 posts

Melissa
BTW, my understanding is that The Hermitage exhibit changes every six months; there are other outposts of the Hermitage. Some of the shows have been really good, others interesting but not as many artifacts or personal items as I would have liked. Still, I go every time I'm there. The Peter the Great exhibit this summer did a remarkably good job of portraying the man, but the Impressionist exhibit was a little light.... but what are ya gonna do, go to St Pete? Thats what i understand. The rotation is what will bring me back time after time. I didnt make it this year, but i will plan for it next year. and yes, i hope to make it also to St. Petersburg too. happy trails.

Posted by
1806 posts

Buy your Museumkaart in Amsterdam. It's very easy to pick one up if you purchase it at one of the smaller museums that it covers by stopping there first. I got mine at the Tassenmuseum when I first arrived to Amsterdam this past May. That evening around 6PM I headed over to the Anne Frank House, had no reservation, and encountered no line whatsoever. Walked straight up to the window and they scanned my Museumkaart and I was in. But later that week I walked past the Anne Frank House several times during the daytime and there was a line, but no where near like the lines at the Rijks during the day. I looked at the line for the Rijks in the morning and said forget it, came back in the late afternoon just 2 hours before closing and found the line much shorter and it went a lot quicker. I broke up my visit to the Rijks over several days since with the Museumkaart you can go back as many times as you want. The Van Gogh had a special lane for Museumkaart holders and it took no time at all to get in there on either of the 2 visits I made during my trip. The security line was also very quick. I found no lines at other large museums, like the Hermitage, and the Stedelijk had automated kiosks where you scanned your own Museumkaart and your ticket would instantly print. Museumkaart was worth the 50 euros to me as when I totaled up the cost of admission for all of the places I wanted to visit, it was more than 50 euros. Some of the small museums and historic canal homes that are covered under the card are also interesting to pop into as you walk around the city. Many are clustered together within a few blocks of each other in different parts of the city so they are easy to combine and often take an hour or less to visit. Some of these smaller venues also have great cafes and gardens on site, so they are terrific for taking a break.

Posted by
179 posts

Wow! Thanks, great information. I'm assuming not much time is needed at Anne Frank. I didn't realize that multiple admissions to the museums was possible with the card.
Thanks again!