Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam Lodging

Heading to Amsterdam in early/mid Oct. Have been there once before, but stayed in Delft. We are walkers, like a quiet place. My recollection, I am thinking we want to stay in Canal Ring, but am curious to learn of your experiences and suggestions. Will probably hit some museums...but also just leisure-down time after a week in Italy before heading back home.

Posted by
32206 posts

Melinda, I stayed in the Poet Hotel when I was in Amsterdam last fall, and would certainly recommend it. The room was small, but very modern and comfortable. They were working on renovations at the time and that's probably all completed now. The Hotel is located in a quiet residential neighborhood. It's within very easy walking distance to both the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum, also to a Tram stop. From there to Amsterdam Central by Tram was about 10-15 minutes. Happy travels!

Posted by
245 posts

Ralph...if you wouldn't recommend the Canal Ring...what would you recommend? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Posted by
245 posts

Ken...thanks for the recommendation on Poet Hotel; I will look that up!

Posted by
32206 posts

Melinda, Just click the internet link in my reply, and it will take you direct to their website. I made it easy for you!

Posted by
360 posts

I ended a ETBD tour in Amsterdam where we stayed at the Hotel Alexander on Vondelstraat which isn't too far from the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum. I had a single room & it was quite nice although small (as expected). Generally when in Amsterdam, I stay at the Wiechmann Hotel located on Prinsengract. It's made up of several canal houses. I've stayed there 4 times over the past 20 yrs. The rooms have varied, but on the whole, they're OK. I love the location which is why I stay at that hotel. Also, the staff has been pleasantly helpful. I can walk everywhere & there are lots of place to sit & have a coffee or a meal.

Posted by
711 posts

The hotel Fita is lovely and has many perks. It is close to the museums.We would love being closer to the Leidseplein, but the hotels around there are very expensive.

Posted by
227 posts

Agree with Rose - we stayed at hotel Alexander last year and were very happy. Owners have another small hotel (but no lift). Nice breakfast and very helpful at the desk. If you happen to get a room that faces the patio you can watch the many "Alexander Parakeets" fly around during the day. They are beautiful and entertained us every day. We were there October 24-28 this past year. It is quiet and a great location, in our opinion. Pleasant walk to Anne Frank House even.

Posted by
731 posts

Check out the Eelhouse B&B in the beautiful Jordaan district. It's in a quiet residential neighborhood walking distance to the Anne Frank house. It's received great reviews on TripAdvisor.

Posted by
646 posts

We are going in December and staying in a b&b in the Jordaan area. It is called Bee's b&b. Also has great reviews on Trip Advisor. FYI - the VanGogh Museuam will be closed for renovations and many of the paintings will be on display at the Hermitage.

Posted by
35 posts

If you feel like splurging, stay at the Turin. It's amazing.

Posted by
37 posts

Melinda, I'm sure the other suggestions are also quite good, but...
check out The Flying Pancake.

Posted by
513 posts

Melina, I suggest you look in the areas of Vondel Park and the Museum Quarter. They are near the Rieijksmuseum (sic) and have the benefit of being a 10 minute walk from the bar/restaurant and transportation hub at Leidseplien.

Posted by
249 posts

My two cents go for Boogaard's B&B just a short walk from train station-on a quiet street near Jordaan. Great breakfast, nice restaurants and a great pub nearby.

Posted by
245 posts

Thanks so very much! I've narrowed it down to 2 options--holding reservations at both right now: Hotel Fita -- nearby Museumplain (on Luijkenstraat)...or Hotel Weichman in the Canal Ring on Pringensgracht. Any final votes/advise?

Posted by
2740 posts

Canal ring - Weichmann is in the middle of everything,15 minute walk to the Rijks, and not in the dreaded and fearful red light district that some people here disapprove of.

Posted by
711 posts

Both of these are fine. We have stayed at both. The fita has an elevator and is more modern, the Wiechmann has the best location, and the rooms are OK , no elevator....some of the rooms are a bit more fixed up.

Posted by
15 posts

We liked the Hotel Fita; it appears that the nice staff person and his brother are the new owners. It was somewhat expensive, but the price seemed comparable to the other hotels. The location is great. If you stay there and need a grocery store, remember the store down the street is located in the basement!

Posted by
121 posts

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Aalders for four nights while in Amsterdam. It's located in a very quiet and fashionable neighborhood just a couple of blocks from the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museums. The hotel is a short walking distance to a tram stop; however, we enjoyed walking everywhere we went. The hotel is close to Vondel Park. The hotel staff is extremely helpful and the breakfasts were fantastic. We would definitely rturn to Hotel Aalders. HOTEL AALDERS BV Jan Luykenstraat 13-15 1071CJ Amsterdam Nederland T +31(0)20 662 0116 F +31(0)20 673 4698
E info@hotelaalders.nl

Posted by
121 posts

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Aalders for four nights while in Amsterdam. It's located in a very quiet and fashionable neighborhood just a couple of blocks from the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museums. The hotel is a short walking distance to a tram stop; however, we enjoyed walking everywhere we went. The hotel is close to Vondel Park. The hotel staff is extremely helpful and the breakfasts were fantastic. We would definitely rturn to Hotel Aalders. HOTEL AALDERS BV Jan Luykenstraat 13-15 1071CJ Amsterdam Nederland T +31(0)20 662 0116 F +31(0)20 673 4698
E info@hotelaalders.nl

Posted by
245 posts

Thanks all - we're going to stay at the Weichman this time; we booked a 'canal view' room. I'll let you know how we liked it -- thanks for your help.