Please sign in to post.

amsterdam hotels

can you recommend a place that won't break the bank? we're traveling as a couple--no hostels for us. somewhere convenient to train travel?

Posted by
711 posts

Amsterdam is very expensive, but there are several moderate places that are nice.. the Brouwer, the Fita, and the Wiechmann,

Posted by
818 posts

we loved Hotel Brouwer. in Sept we are returning to Amsterdam and staying at The Flying Pancake (a B&B)

Posted by
9 posts

We stayed in Hotel Aspen last week. It was clean and simple. It was an easy walk from the train station and is close to the Anne Frank house. The owner was very friendly.

Posted by
192 posts

Husband and I stayed at the Mercure Fromme in Amsterdam (the one downtown, not the one by the airport) and liked it a lot. We were there 8 days.
It's about a 3-min. walk to the nearest tram stop, and then about a 5-min. ride to Centraal Station.
Staff was very helpful and friendly, rooms old but clean and comfy. Breakfast pricey tho...E15 each. We found a nice bagel place about 2 blocks away! :)

Posted by
852 posts

http://hotels-netherlands-en.globalhotelindex.com/amsterdam/de_gouden_kettingh_hotel_764943en.html

hi amber,
... we've taken rooms twice in the Hotel Gouden Kettingh in Amsterdam. It's a small historical hotel; in 1600's or some such years it was the residence of a merchant family. "Gouden kettingh" means 'gold chain' - which refers to an incident with a servant way back then. It's quite a romantic little place on an Amsterdam canal - and when we took rooms, the rate was quite reasonable. Open the link above for details... Happy travels... P

Posted by
1455 posts

Joanie, Try hotwire! I got the Sheraton in London for $110 a night (dollars! not pounds or euros) and it included tax.

I also found this cheat sheet with the names and listng of the cities.
click here to see

The cheat sheet gives you an idea what hotels hotwire has a partnership with, based on the icons, the star levels, and locations.

Posted by
6788 posts

We also loved the Hotel Brouwer (2 years ago). Not cheap, but memorable.

Posted by
21 posts

thanks, everyone! we booked brouwer.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Amber - my wife and I stayed with Bethany's B&B (the Haarlemmerdijk location) and found it to be very nice, for the price. Very private accomodations, nice location with a very good breakfast in the morning. The window to our room faced the street, so that was a little noisy, but also made for some interesting people watching and the noise was not bothersome throughout the night. I am not sure how the prices compare to other hotels mentioned in this thread, but we were on a budget and wanted to avoid hostel-type situations and found Bethany's to our liking.