Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam from 23 May - 2 June 2013

Hi, My family and I (2 senior citizens aged 65++, 2 kids aged 7 & 10 and 2 adults) are going to Amsterdam from 23 May - 2 June 2013. We have a few questions on our trip:- 1. What is the best transport option to go around? Are there any family passes available? OV chipkaart, Amsterdam Tourist Ticket etc? Is the deposit on OV chipkaart refundable? 2. We plan to visit a few places out of Amsterdam a. Delft b. The Hague c. Leiden d. Haarlem e. Zaanse Schans f. AALSMEER g. Volendam h. Marken i. Edam I read that the Tourist Amsterdam ticket can be used for most of the places above.Is that right? Or should I use the train instead? Do you have any further suggestions for the places above? 2. I would also like to check which is the recommended canal cruise. Which is a good budget cruise company? Thanks so much in advance for your advice. Warmest Regards. Elaine
Malaysia

Posted by
2829 posts

If you are going to use a lot of public transportation WITHIN the city, the 7-day city transit pass is a good option (unlimited use for € 32). If you are not going to use public transportation within the city so much, you might be better off buying OV Chipkaarts and putting credit there. Credit on OV Chipkaart is refundable except for a small € 2,50 service fee. You can ask for a refund up to € 30 at manned GVB offices, such as the one in front of Amsterdam Centraal station. Money loaded on the OV Chipkaart can be used for both trains and urban transit. Roughly speaking, if you are going to take more than 4 short transit trips or more than 3 long ones, the weekly pass start being a good deal. You will need a train ticket (or OV Chipkaart loaded money) to travel to Delft, Den Haag, Leiden, Haarlem and Zaanstad (Zaanse Schans).

Posted by
6 posts

Hi,
How about the Amsterdam Tourist Ticket that gives unlimited travel (1 day Euro 10 and 3 days Euro 20) on the Connexxion bus lines. Will I be able to travel to my itineraries above using this ticket? Thanks again! Elaine