Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam

Does anyone have suggestion for a place to stay in Amsterdam for 1 night in November. I am traveling with my son and father, so I would like a place with 3 beds.

Posted by
11507 posts

We stayed at the Park Hotel, the comfiest bed we had in 26 days of hotels and apartments. Would stay there again, just for super comfy bed!

Posted by
12172 posts

I think a houseboat would be great. I'm not sure if they'll rent for one night, most are similar to renting an apartment and want a week. We went with a budget option and stayed at Vondelpark Hostel. It's servicable. Our room was for six so wife, self, and three kids shared a six bed room with another person - something many wouldn't be excited about. Like any hostel, keep your stuff locked up, ignore the pot smokers on the front patio (they don't allow it indoors), use it as a place to sleep and shower only, and it's fine.

Posted by
516 posts

Try Hotel Brouwer or Tulip Inn Dam Square. Both hotels are about a 5 minute walk from Central Station. Hotel Brouwer books about 6-9 months in advance. Give it a go though.

Posted by
143 posts

Try the Hotel Aalders. We stayed there a couple of years ago and loved it. Very near the Rijkxmuseum

Posted by
973 posts

We like the staff and the prices at the Hestia, behind the Marriott near the Leidesplein- quiet, cozy. However, are you transiting so want something more central? I got the Movenpick once thru Priceline and the views are wonderful- smallish sofa tho OK if your son is not grown. (Priceline has issues with bedding not being guaranteed.)Don't think the Ibis Centraal has a 3 bed option.

Posted by
9100 posts

I wouldn't categorize the Movenpick as more central than a hotel in the Liedsplien area. The Movenpick is connected to the cruise ship terminal and a bit isolated. The Liedsplien is a major entertainment district located near a lot of the most popular sites like the Rijks, and Van Gogh Museums.

Posted by
44 posts

Melissa, Actually my son is grown. My Dad and I are just getting to tag along with him on a business trip. We will only be in Amsterdam for a day and then on to Dusseldorf Germany.

Posted by
973 posts

Across the street from the Movenpick is a tram stop, which is the last stop before Centraal Station, very possibly convenient if Jennifer is only spending one night. I agree that it is not a pretty walk, but the views from the hotel of the Ij give you a sense of a different city than staying near a canal or the Leidesplein. It is just as connected to a concert hall as the cruise terminal. As her son is too big for the modern builtin sofa, the Movenpick does not work for one room I think. Nor does the Ibis.
Whereas @the Hestia, closer to Vondelpark, does have a few triples. Best choicet depends on what she wants to see in AMS and how she is transiting to and from AMS. IMO, if she is using the train to Schiphol, neither the Leidesplein nor Museumplein are more convenient. The price may make a difference however. Our last taxi from the Hestia to Schipol in May cost only about $35, on a Sunday morning without traffic, not much more than buying a tram ticket and going on public transport to Schipol. Leidesplein is lively but also tiresome after a while.

Posted by
44 posts

We will actually have a rental car. One thing I definitely want to see is the Anne Frank House.

Posted by
32757 posts

Unless you have made arrangements for storage of your car in Amsterdam your car is likely to be a millstone around your neck. Street parking is nearly impossible and very expensive and I definitely wouldn't count on driving up to the Anne Frank House and parking. When we have driven in that area we have been happy to stay at the Holiday Inn in Leiden several km south quite near the station there and on a bus line or two. Or there are, as mentioned, several chain hotels near Schiphol with shuttles to the airport where you can get the train. You may be luckier with finding a triple bedded room there too.

Posted by
818 posts

Try for a double and a single at Hotel Brouwer - great place!

Posted by
177 posts

friends of ours stayed at Citizen M:
http://www.citizenm.com/amsterdam-city and it was amazing as far as we can tell visiting them, good price also. unfortunately when it's our turn to book it, it was sold out. So we used AirBnB, and found a one bedroom apt in Jordaan for even less than the hotel price. It was in a quiet residential neighborhood and I would def do AirBnB again.

Posted by
9 posts

If you have a rental car, stay near Schiphol and take the train in to central station... It won't give you the experience of being able to walk out of your hotel and in to Amsterdam night life, but the train runs frequently and is relatively safe compared to most European cities. Plus, if you stay outside of town you'll have an easier go of seeing the rest of the country, which is so much more interesting than Amsterdam (in my opinion!). -Katie

Posted by
2829 posts

There is no need to stay at Schiphol with a car. All hotels on the Zuidas area have parking (paid, but reasonable). Ditto for couple hotels near the RAI convention center. Both are easier to get to the central touristic area by subway or tram.