Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam accomodations

I will be traveling to Amsterdam with a girlfriend in late August until early September. Any areas of the city I should avoid staying? Or hotels/B & Bs? I have been looking at Homeaway and VRBO.

Posted by
9099 posts

Avoid hotels located near the convention center. They're a lot of four-star business class hotels that offer deep discounts between conventions. But you aren't within walking distance to the city center.

Posted by
2193 posts

You might also try airbnb.com...it's a really great service with awesome spaces for rent. Many don't like Haarlem much and think it's too far out (15 minutes by train). Maybe, but if you're interested, I'll recommend Where Else B&B. Great place on pedestrian only street. Cheap, very quiet, super clean, safe area, creaky stairs, tons of character, great owner. It's a winner. Haarlem is a cool, quiet alternative place to sleep.

Posted by
68 posts

Thank you Michael, very helpful information. I hadn't gone to Airbnb yet.

Posted by
121 posts

I can recommend a great place to stay...Hotel Aalders. It's in the Museum District and close to Vogel Park. We've been there once for 4 days and are staying there again in May. Very quiet and quaint neighborhood close to a lot of things you may want to see.

Posted by
143 posts

Another vote for the Aalders. We stayed there 3 years ago and loved it! Very convenient to museums and very close to a tram stop that will take you all over. Enjoy Amsterdam!

Posted by
711 posts

The Hotel Fita is wonderful...you get a lot for your money.