Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam

we're going to Amsterdam on the 8th of October without hotel reservations. as we are seniors, we cannot stay somewhere without an elevator and would like to be in a centrally located area. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh, yes, a moderate accommodation pricewise would be necessary. does it sound like we want everything? Thank you for any recommendations you can provide.

Posted by
473 posts

Amsterdam is notorious for narrow steep stairways. I don't have any specific recommendations other than that it would probably be a good idea to research hotels now and make a reservation.

Posted by
32772 posts

Kelly, It doesn't sound like you "want everything" but it does seem that with special requirements such as no stairs, inexpensive and well located -=- you may have left it a bit late to try and find all that. I bet that you could find no stairs and central and expensive at this late date. -=- Can I strongly suggest that you attempt to get your reservations sorted out as soon as you can. -=- We wish you success.

Posted by
9100 posts

Amsterdam is a city that you really need to get advance hotel reservations; especially in the fall when it's convention season. What is your exact price range?

Posted by
5519 posts

Kelly, Are you ok with any stairs? I was pleased with Hotel Estherea and I believe it has a lift. It was centrally located on the Singel Canal not far from Spui. I booked a non-view room but they ended up putting me in a canal view room which was quite nice. However, I think there might be some stairs from the street into the hotel. If you look there, I would suggest that you ask about the stairs and lift. I agree with Michael that you really need to reserve in advance. I must have looked at a dozen hotels on my last trip before I found a central one with a vacancy.

Posted by
7560 posts

While not quaint, there is an Ibis, a modern European Chain, right near the Main Train station. Certainly central, certainly easy access to public transportation. May well be worth be checking out.

Posted by
973 posts

Third time to Amsterdam we stayed at the Ibis right next to the train station as mentioned above. Very adequate,clean but prefab, about $150 a night last summer, breakfast not included. Book online thru Accor as online rates are cheaper than a walkin and join their frequent stay program. We prefer the Hotel Hestia,about a block behind the Marriott near the Leidesplein and VondelPark. Friendly, nice breakfast,pleasant backyard for breakfast, a beer or tea or relaxing, and quiet street, elevator and A/C.

Posted by
9100 posts

I stayed at the Centraal Station Ibis once, and once was enough:) Of all my travels throughout the world this hotel has the distinction of having the smallest room I have stayed in anywhere...barely enough room to turn around. I know you get what you pay for, but for me the cheap rates weren't worth it.

Posted by
143 posts

Try either the Hotel Fita or the Hotel Aadlers near the Rijksmuseum.

Posted by
1014 posts

We booked the Movenpick on laterooms.com for 80E per night. 10-15 minute walk from the train station, away from town on the sea. Wonderful area. Room was bigger than the apt. we rented in Paris. It is a 10-15 walk to the tram line, but once there, you can go anywhere in Amsterdam you wish. The tram line is at the railroad station.

Posted by
188 posts

On our recent European trip, I had great luck booking hotel rooms at reasonable rates through tripadvisor.com. Have you tried them yet? One of the things I like best about this site are the reviews of the hotels, listed with most recent first.

Posted by
463 posts

we stayed at the convent hotel this past summer[INVALID]reasonably priced, nice room, elevator, and well located[INVALID]a ten minute walk from the train station with a tram stop directly outside.

Posted by
44 posts

I have stayed quite a few times at the Renaissance Hotel Amsterdam that is run by Marriott. They have elevators, is very close to the train station and has wonderful service.

Posted by
349 posts

May I add the "stairs" could just as well be ladders much more of a challenge then in US

Posted by
5678 posts

I stayed at the Hotel Brouwer www.hotelbrouwer.nl It was close to the train station. It has an elevator, but not to all floors so you would need to be very specific with them about your needs. I thought it was very nice and convenient. Pam

Posted by
199 posts

I'm a little late to the party, as usual. I thought you might have time to change your reservations. I've stayed at the Hotel Alexander (between Leidseplein and Vondel Park) and the Hampshire Inn Prinsengracht (Southern Canal belt between the Amstel River and and Rijksmuseum). Both are very close (about a block or two) to the tram. Both have elevators and great staff. Enjoy.

Posted by
92 posts

I have stayed at the Movenpick and loved it, but I also stayed most of the time at the Ibis near the Schipol Airport. Then took a shuttle from the Hotel to the Airport and then a train from the Airport to Central Station in Amsterdam. It really didn't cost much for the train from the Airport to Amsterdam and the Hotel is nice. It is part of the Accor chain. They do have relatively cheaper rates than downtown.